Low cost High Speed internet for low income families

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I read about this on another forum:

Any family with at least one child who qualifies for the free lunch program at public schools can subscribe to a low-speed (1.5Mbps) Comcast Internet connection for $9.95 a month. Comcast guarantees that it won't raise the price and offers the plan without equipment rental or activation fees. Subscribers also cannot have "an overdue Comcast bill or unreturned equipment," and they can't have had Comcast Internet in the last 90 days.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...ches-999-internet-for-low-income-families.ars

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Yep. A lot of areas subsidize it too, like with winter gas costs :) You just turn in your income info and your bill and they reimburse part of the internet costs.

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I wish we could just get our entire county on broadband. Tho' cheap broadband would be most welcome. :lol:

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Leta said:
I wish we could just get our entire county on broadband. Tho' cheap broadband would be most welcome. :lol:
I would LOVE to have access to broadband... it takes FOREVER to get anything done on dial-up, but it's the only thing available here... I absolutely refuse to pay for satellite internet ($299.95/month if you want to go as fast as 5Mps around here)

I do think the cheap high speed is a great idea though :)

MrBubblingbrooks

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Interesting. I'll have to see if its available to Alaskans! Being between jobs, cheap is good!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Canada recently put a new satellite into orbit via a Russian rocket, this satellite will enable people who live away from cities with cheap broadband to get better-than-dial-up service. Just heard a report on the local CBC radio station yesterday but here's a story I googled for more info :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
moolie said:
Canada recently put a new satellite into orbit via a Russian rocket, this satellite will enable people who live away from cities with cheap broadband to get better-than-dial-up service. Just heard a report on the local CBC radio station yesterday but here's a story I googled for more info :)
Definitely not a low cost for high speed. $70/month? I'll pass.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It is way cheaper than what is currently available in my province to rural homes and quite competitive.

Here in the city for the band-width I require for my small-business needs I pay $79/month with Shaw, and their lowest listed rate is $27/month for whatever "high speed lite" is.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
We pay $24.95 for Bell WiMax. It is faster than dial up, but not by much. For satellite internet, we would have to pay $200 to have a thing installed and then pay $50/mo. NOt worthi ti IMO, but then I don't have a business to run on it. Since internet and TV are entertainment in our house, I can't justify satellite TV or internet. We have the Wimax until something better comes up, and the good ole TV antenna does just fine for TV. Free. Of course, Hubby is starting to go stir crazy since his mobility is limited. He has been talking about upgrading. :/