Low cost SS ideas, tips, projects (for SS Tip Sheet)

The YardFarmers

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Everyone is giving such good suggestions to put into a "tip sheet",

So for today,
what are some low cost SS ideas, tips, or projects ($0-$25)?

Love reading your posts, suggestions, and support. I am thinking about creating some sort of tip sheet or pamphlet for people interested in learning more about becoming SS, maybe to pass out at the Farmers Market or include with CSA baskets. I am wanting to encourage others to start and to give real suggestions.

The tip sheet could maybe be organized along the line of ........
1. SS ideas that you can do that cost $0
2. Low cost (< $25) SS ideas/projects
3. Projects for <$100
4. Projects for <$500
5. $500 and up SS projects
6. Encouragement, inspiration, real like people

Please share your ideas. I'll post each category separately. I'll compile the ideas for each category, and if you would like a copy for yourself or to make your own tip sheets, send me an email. Thanks in advance for all your ideas- and for helping to promote a SS way of life that we have forgotten about.
YardFarmer Julie
www.TheYardFarmers.blogspot.com

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
For under $25 there are a ton. This is my main price group, lol. For now:

Start a garden. You might have to buy dirt, seeds, starting pots, etc. But, if you are smart/frugal, you can easily start a garden for under $25. You can even plant seeds that your family doesn't use, then sell the produce and resultant seeds.

DIY Laundry. There are MANY tips for this one. 1 - You can make your own laundry detergent with soap (homemade or storebought). 2 - You can make dryer balls from wool to help soften and de-static your laundry and cut the cost of fabric sheets. 3 - Make squares out of fleece fabric, soak them in fabric softener and let dry. That softens fabric at a lower cost than using liquid softener (and possibly dryer sheets) and helps to keep waste out of landfills (though it does cut out on fire starters, lol).

Make your own soap This one can go here or in the higher categories, depending on how fancy you want to get. For super basic soaps, it can definately go here. Lye isn't too expensive, and if you use fats from your food items (raised livestock, or even use clarified grease in a major pinch) you can keep the costs very low for personal use. Use this to save money on your laundry detergent mentioned above.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't know if this really fits in this catagory, it just depends on what you're looking to buy.

Shop used....thrift stores, garage sales etc. not just clothes, but canning stuff, books (how to's, SS, cookbooks,etc.), tools, you name it you can probably find it if you have the patience (and are able) to wait for it. Sometimes thrift stores get brand new stuff with original tags still on that's never been used and usually sell it for much cheaper. Key word here is "shop" these places since the economy is pushing prices up people at garage sales and thrift stores are asking more $ for lesser quality stuff and at times ask for more than it's really worth in a "new" store.

Hate to say it, but Dollar store stuff isn't always a bargain, sometimes but not always. I once went to buy some dog food or treats but noticed the "best by" date was expired, when I asked about it the clerk said "what do you expect for a dollar store?" That comment and attitude made me very leary of the quality of the stuff they sell. I do still shop here but very picky.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Old Fashioned has some good tips. I actually find that some thrift stores and Dollar stores charge MORE than regular retail stores. The goodwill here, you have to go during sales, otherwise, you can buy clothes somewhere else brand new for cheaper. Dollar stores are usually a mark up from Wal-mart. A $.77 bag of dog treats from Wal-mart will cost $1 at the Dollar store. Or, a $2.99 item will cost $5. You really need to be careful anymore. I find that the small, "no-name" thrift stores are better than the big time ones. Flea markets can be great shopping places as well.