lye?

dntd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm making soap for the first time and seen to have run into a problem with lye. Only one store in my city sells it but it's in a huge amount, 3L. 3 L is way too much lye! How do I store it if I buy this large amount? Is it too dangerous to keep in a house?

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I bought my lye online from a soap making website (not sure which one right this minute). It is a solid, not a liquid. Are you sure yours is right? The only thing I could find locally was liquid drain opener which turned out to be potassium hydroxide, not sodium hydroxide. I don't have a problem storing it in the house- mine is in the basement because it is the only storage space in the house for all my "stuff" but it is dry. For NaOH dry is the key!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You can store it in an airtight container in a dry location, perfectly safe as long as it is out of reach of kids. I am assuming you mean the powdered or granules. I used to buy it at the regular grocery store, it was a common household item. It should be fine. You keep bleach safe, too, so think of it in this way.

dntd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The store I phoned said it was a bucket so I'm thinking it's the powder not liquid. I'm going to go this week and pick it up if it's the right stuff.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I buy my lye from a soap supply on line called Summer Bee Meadow. I have always had good luck with their products. If you buy lye other places make sure it is pure. Often drain cleaners with lye contain small metal particles to facilitate breaking up the clog. Red Devil used to manufacture a pure lye drain opener.

By the way ... Welcome to Sufficient Self dntd! :frow

Morgaine

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Look at your local Ace Hardware for Rooto brand drain cleaner. As long as it is the one says 100% lye or sodium hydroxide, then it's ok to use for soap. Also, Lowes and even Tractor Supply Company carry Roebic Drain Cleaner that is also 100% lye, but I will say that the prices have gone WAY up. I think it is like $12 for 2 pounds! For the best price I order online.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I ordered mine from Brambleberry.com when I ordered other soapmaking supplies, so shipping and handling was not really too bad. It came in a nice air tight container that I feel safe storing.