Made a big mistake canning- is there a way out of this jam???

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I accidentally put 8 cups of strawberries, instead of the 5 the recipe calls for. I added 7 cups of sugar. Needless to say, it did not set. Is there any fix to this- or did I just make 20 quarts of berries into ice cream syrup???
I asked on TEG, sorry if you are reading this twice...

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
Lesa said:
I accidentally put 8 cups of strawberries, instead of the 5 the recipe calls for. I added 7 cups of sugar. Needless to say, it did not set. Is there any fix to this- or did I just make 20 quarts of berries into ice cream syrup???
I asked on TEG, sorry if you are reading this twice...
I answered on TEG ;)

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
:lol:

Throw some my way with ice cream please.

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know, I know- I do love it on pancakes and ice cream- but I really wanted to make my strawberry jam, for the winter. I was planning on putting Smucker's out of business!!!
Darn!

boxermom

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I would think that you could add enough sugar to make 2 batches, then split it in half and add pectin to 1 half, make as directed, then the other half. The instructions say you can re-cook and add pectin if it didn't set up the first time. Worth a try and nothing to lose.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:frow Hi Boxermom (I have boxers too, unless you're referring to another type of boxer...)

Anyway, the recipe I have for liquid cement for JELLY is:

Place the un-jellied mixture into a saucepan. Add 1/2 cup sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add 1/2 c. of lemon juice and 1/2 c. of liquid pectin. Return mixture to a boil and boil for 4 minutes only.

I agree with boxermom, you have nothing to lose. I don't know what the lemon juice is for, either. But if you need to use it up, I'll send my address. :D