Made butter today :)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
It was quite cool!

We did it in my DDs 1st grade class, I brought in 4 small canning jars, teacher dropped a clean marble in each (not necessary though) and added heavy cream to about 3/4 full then put the lids on and around the room they went to be shook up by the kids.

When everyone was tired of shaking I took oever and shook my little arms off :/ till all of the sudden the jars felt and sounded a little differnet, I looked and voila...butter! We drained it and added a little salt and then the kids slathered it on their cornbread.

Guess what my dinner guests will be making for my thanksgiving dinner? :gig No freeloaders at my house!

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Cool. I've been meaning to try it, but I'm afraid I'll get tuckered out before it's done.

Inchy

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I did that once as a kid too. Its pretty cool. :)

I would omit the marble or else not use glass jars. Assuming you don't want to decrease the life of your canning jars.

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Really?? That's it? Heavy cream? Would half and half work? That's really cool!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I think you have to max out on the cream content to get good butter. If you used half-n-half I think you'd get half as much butter.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Yes, I agree with DM...you need max fat content. We used heavy cream and it worked great.
No more marbles in my jars :) really not necessary.

Inchy you could do like we did and pass the jar when your arms need a break.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Mmmmmm I used to love shaking butter when I was a kid. Back then we used to get our milk straight from a dairy farmer and my mom used to scoop the cream off the top and put it in jars for us kids to shake. We never used a marble though...just a plain old pickle jar with a lid and cream

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
OK is that heavy whipping cream?

I should do this with my kids, would make a great homeschool lesson! how to make butter LOL