Made homemade yogurt

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Hmm. Lumpy has not happened to me- wonder if it is because of the boiling? I raise my milk to 160 or so, then cool immediately- it never actually boils. I think it is technically "scalded" milk. I have used both ultrapasteurized and low temp pasteurized whole cow millk for mine- every once in awhile it does come out runny. I suppose I could strain it, but I think of it as my version of the commercial "go-gurt" they sell to the kids as drinkable yogurt.

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Boiling is overkill.

165F kills all bacteria. With raw milk, you'd probably only need to heat it 110F and then add your culture and hold at 110 for 8 hours.

I drink raw milk, but use storebought for yogurting. Maybe ask freemotion, she has more experience with raw milk yogurting than I do.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
My family doesn't care for drinkable yogurt, I made Marianne's crock pot yogurt and it tasted fine, but I had a hard time getting anyone to actually drink it because they like custard-style.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
SD, this link explains more stuff about yogurt using raw milk and more tips:

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/nchfp/factsheets/yogurt.html

I cook my yogurt longer in the slow cooker, around 5 hours or even longer for 3 qts of store milk. The longer that initial cook time, the thicker the yogurt will be. There have been plenty of times that I have drained some of the whey out to make a thicker, less tangy yogurt.

I really disliked the yogurt when I added the gelatin. It had a weird, almost slick, shiny texture that just really bugged me. I have used dry milk a few times, but don't anymore. If it's not thick enough, I drain the whey.

One time I stirred a pot of milk on low heat on the stove for 2 hours, trying to get it to 180!! A lot of it evaporated, but that was the absolute best yogurt I ever made.

The only times I have had lumps was when the starter had some lumps. It was a new container of Dannon...if I didn't live out in BF Egypt, I would have taken it back. But it worked okay..and every batch I made after that using homemade starter had the same little cottage cheese type lumps. Tasted like cream cheese, but just wasn't smooth. I finally just ate it all and got a new container at the grocery store.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I never thought about it being the yogurt I used as a starter. I used Greek Gyos. It was the only plain brand they carried that wasn't a huge size. Thanks for the link!