Made me a bit mad----

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am surfing the net for new chocolate cake receipes or 'just' that something different but SUPER easy, cause baking is not ME! :)

this sounded delish but I am not looking for a boxed cake receipe :tongue

I get these kinds of results:

SELF-FROSTED DOUBLE CHOCOLATE CAKE

1 pkg. Pillsbury German chocolate basic bundt cake mix
3 eggs
1 c. water
1/2 c. soft butter or oil
1/3 c. semi-sweet chocolate pieces
1/4 c. chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease bottom only of 9x13 inch pan. In large bowl, blend Packets 1 and 2 and next 3 ingredients until moistened. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed (portable mixer use highest speed). Pour into prepared pan. Top with chocolate pieces and nuts. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on cooling rack. Store loosely covered. Makes 9x13 inch cake.

I don't want to buy a cake mix!!! geez LOL
I know shortcuts exist but UGH....that is not me! I want fresh.

so I must narrow my search to "scratch made chocolate cake recipes" I guess LOL :bun

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I hate that too. Does this give people the illusion that they are baking? That is one of the reasons I like to buy old cookbooks. Good luck on your search.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Easiset Chocolate Cake ever, we always make this for family birthdays:

One Bowl Chocolate Fudge Cake:

1 1/2 cups flour (white or whole wheat)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup softened butter
1 cup milk (I sour mine with a tbsp lemon juice)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Put everything in bowl of electric mixer with cocoa on bottom to minimize the "cocoa cloud" and beat gently till ingredients are combined, then beat on medium speed for two minutes, scraping down sides. Pour into 1 lightly greased 9x13 pan or 2 8" round pans, bake 9x13 pan for 35-40 minutes, rounds for 25-30 minutes, or until surface springs back lightly when pressed with finger and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan, then turn out onto rack to cool completely. Rectangular cake may be completely cooled then iced in the pan, rounds are lovely filled with apricot jam and iced with buttercream or cream cheese icing :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks moolie

I have my basic cake receipes just like this one actually...lol

I was just goofing around finding more to make, cause like I said baking is not me and different receipes I don't have LOL when it come to baking.

then I hit the 'use a box first' and do this receipes....boy there are alot of them out there.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you are right Homemaker
it is an illusion of baking

wonder if those who use the boxed cake shortcuts could make a cake if the internet went down :lol: :lol:

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I had misplaced my potpie recipe and came across the same kind of thing. Using a premade crust, and canned veggies... Not exactly what I call "from scratch"! It is a wacky world we live in!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Lesa said:
I had misplaced my potpie recipe and came across the same kind of thing. Using a premade crust, and canned veggies... Not exactly what I call "from scratch"! It is a wacky world we live in!!
Just another symptom of the instant gratification generation!!! :barnie

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Don't you find it interesting that we are now a generation of people thinking that starting with a boxed cake is making from "scratch"? I realize people on here don't think so but you talk to the average person and they do.

FarmGirl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
Don't you find it interesting that we are now a generation of people thinking that starting with a boxed cake is making from "scratch"? I realize people on here don't think so but you talk to the average person and they do.
You are so right ksalvagno - I guess that they did turn on the oven and get a mixing bowl dirty but it's not really scratch :hu

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have never understood mixes for cakes or muffins etc. It's just all the dry ingredients, packaged in a pretty box, that costs more than the individual ingredients would. It doesn't really save any time because you still have to add milk, oil, eggs whatever.

It's all just marketing, rather than actual "time saving".