Made Venison Jerky today.

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I had ran out venison jerky so I took some meat out of the freezer. Thawed it out and made us some jerky. My grandsons can eat it as fast as I fix it.
I freeze, dehydrate and can what ever I can get hold of.
I am thinking about trying to can some meat this year. Haven't done that yet.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My boys can't eat it slowly either! :rolleyes: Almost not worth the effort if you can't store it and eke it out, but, noooooooo, they have to eat it all in one gulp!!

You'll love the canned deer meat for soups, beef(deer) and noodles, creamed beef (deer) over biscuits....mmmmm, my mouth is watering! Its easier and more versatile to use than ground or steaks, in my opinion. My boys don't like it that way and I don't know why, but I'm canning some this year just for me! :D They'll either eat it or starve! :lol: They say they don't like it that way but, somehow, they will still manage to force themselves to eat it....funny thing.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Oh yum! I have not canned venison for years, but it was such a fast, excellent supper starter! We'd just add a bit of starch and cook it up for over rice, potatoes, noodles. Hope my husband gets some deer this year!

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
I wish I had a "jerky maker" What is it called? We have almost 400 pounds of deer in our freezer. My uncle made a "jerkey maker :lol: " when he was a kid.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You can actually make jerky using nonstick cookie sheets and your own stove. Granted, not as efficient or cost effective, but it can be done. You can buy a food dehydrater at Wally World for around $30 or so bucks, I believe. These are more efficient and turn out good jerky, as well. ;)

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I got a dehydrator online from Target. You can order the jerky making kit to go with it. Its only for the ground meat though. You put the ground meat with the seasoning into this contraption and then squeeze it out into flat little strips to put in the dehydrator.
The recipe book also says if you have meat you can hang it on a hook in the regular oven from the top rack and dry it that way.
My son has been after me to make him some all week.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
You can actually make jerky using nonstick cookie sheets and your own stove. Granted, not as efficient or cost effective, but it can be done. You can buy a food dehydrater at Wally World for around $30 or so bucks, I believe. These are more efficient and turn out good jerky, as well. ;)
Thanks, I have seen them in cabe;a's and bass pro shop

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love my dehydrator. I dehydrate banana's, pepper's, pineapple, jerky (of course beef and venison) other things I can't think of right now. You can make fruit leather which to my notion is way better than fruit roll ups.
You don't need a jerky gun to make the jerky. If you have ground meat take a ball of meat about the size of a large meatball. Roll it into a log. Place it on wax paper and press it flat with the back of a spoon. Not to thin. Then you transfer it to your dehydrator or cookie sheet. When you slice your meat for jerky you want it thin and even slices if possible.
You also don't have to have the seasoning mixes. I will dig out some of the recipes I have and post them for you.
Beekissed I would love to have your canning recipes for venison.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I made some deer jerky earlier in the year. I didn't have anything special for it. I just used Worcestershire sauce and balsamic vinegar and salt & pepper.

Hubby and the boys ate it like potato chips. Didn't last long at all...

Cassandra