Maggie, my Blue Heeler mix, gave me the best gift, and her last gift.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I should have lost my chickens early this morning, instead, I lost my precious Maggie her gave up her life protecting my livestock.

A pair of coyotes came in and were upsetting the chickens and goats. Maggie took them on, and sadly this morning we had to put her down to end her suffering. It was the hardest decision I have ever made, and I have NEVER cried over a dog before. No offense to dog lovers.

Maggie was only 9 months old, but she was a wonderful companion. She followed me around the yard, played fetch, and loved her purple squeaky dragon. She was my husband's gift to me last mother's day.

I have to be honest and say that this Christmas didn't have the best start for me, as I spent most of the morning in tears and my FIL had to go with my DH to assist with the putting down of Maggie because I couldn't. I loved her so much and there will never be another dog like her.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
QA - What an awful start for a Christmas Day for you. So sorry about your Maggie. She did her job and you will always remember how brave and wonderful she was.
Hope the rest of your Christmas was better.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
HUGS!!! What an awful way to start Christmas day. I hope the rest of your day was enjoyable despite the heartache!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
she did give you her best gift, guarding the stock. that is what they do for their pack!

you will remember her with the highest regards and love. she did exactly what was her nature, to defend! that is just wonderful....so sad it was 2 against 1. I know you are sad and I feel sad your Christmas morning was so hard!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
The hardest part was I had bought her a brand new squeaky toy for Christmas. It's called a Loofah Dog??? It looks like a purple weiner dog, long about 12 inches or so, and it squeaks and made of terry cloth...and it is purple. I got her a purple one because she liked her purple squeaky dragon so well.

:( I loved my little Maggie.

DH said he'll get me another dog, but not right away. I am not sure I want another dog. I mean, part of me does, and part of me doesn't. It was nice having 2 dogs guarding the place. The kids felt bad for me. My DD was quick to say, "But you can't have my puppy! Dad can go get you your own." lol I told her I didn't want her puppy.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
:hugs

I'm so sorry!
I have a red heeler, she's around 7 months and I couldn't imagine the pain and heartbreak you're going through.

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am so sorry to hear about your Maggie. I had a Tippy that I had to put down. She was my bud we went everywhere together. She got hit by a car and we had to have her put down. I cried for 3 days.
I know how you feel.
:hugs

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm so sorry. Your dear Maggie was a brave loyal friend.
I hope things are a bit brighter today.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am so sorry. It is hard to lose a loyal loving pet. I pray that God comforts you. :hugs