Mail Order Chickens

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I ordered a few chicks to be delivered this week. I thought they would be here today, but they didn't show up. Friday will be day three in transit, so I am really anxious about the condition of the chicks when/if they do come in tomorrow. IF they are still alive, do you think their first water should be sugar water? I have read to just give them water, and others say to give them sugar water, especially for mailed chicks, as they have been through a lot. What do you do, or what do you think?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Sugar water can't hurt them. They should be alive, day three is not that bad. Have you contacted your P.O. to let them know you are expecting them and to call IMMEDIATELY for pick up? That's what i would do. They should be fine though ;)

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes, I have talked to the post office three times. They are beginning to recognize my voice, lol! I have read that chicks can go 72 hours without water or feed, when first hatched. It will be just under that deadline if I get them tomorrow morning. :fl

Justme

Power Conserver
Reaction score
They should be fine. Just give plain water or if you feel you MUST do something else give a little electrolytes. Think about it if you are really thirsty do you want sugar water or plain water. It takes more for the body to process the sugar.
Just dip their beaks in the water as you take them out of the box. Don't worry if you don't see them hovering around the waterer right off but after a little time getting accustomed to the new environment you'll see the water level go down. Especially once one gets the notion. They really like to play follow the leader. Sprinkle a little food on the floor and fill the feeder. I'm expecting 35 my self tomorrow.
I have had a whole lot of chicks mailed and all have done well. Several batches arrived on day four.
And don't worry the post office they want them outta there ASAP. they call as the box comes off the truck. And they don't want to know the purpose of the chicks, that is if they are layers all is fine but of they are for meat they don't want to hear it.
Good luck

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Mine ALWAYS come in on the third day. It will be fine. I have lost very few in the first few days.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Justme said:
They should be fine. Just give plain water or if you feel you MUST do something else give a little electrolytes. Think about it if you are really thirsty do you want sugar water or plain water. It takes more for the body to process the sugar.
Just dip their beaks in the water as you take them out of the box. Don't worry if you don't see them hovering around the waterer right off but after a little time getting accustomed to the new environment you'll see the water level go down. Especially once one gets the notion. They really like to play follow the leader. Sprinkle a little food on the floor and fill the feeder. I'm expecting 35 my self tomorrow.
I have had a whole lot of chicks mailed and all have done well. Several batches arrived on day four.
And don't worry the post office they want them outta there ASAP. they call as the box comes off the truck. And they don't want to know the purpose of the chicks, that is if they are layers all is fine but of they are for meat they don't want to hear it.
Good luck
they may want to inspect and count them. If they do, try to avoid a Air conditioned area. those young ones like it very warm for the first few days and the shipping box is designed to conserve body heat leave the top off too long and they can be chilled vut they usually recover in a few minutes when the top is replaced/ Also you should have your brooder set up to be ready for the chicks arrival.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, they arrived this morning. I got home with them about 8:00am. I stuck their beaks in water first thing. One little speckled Sussex seems to be pretty listless. I have dipped her beak about 4 times, but she still doesn't drink yet. The others all look fine, for the most part. Brooder is nice and toasty, warmest part is 96 degrees. I scattered a little feed and put the feeder in. A couple are already eating at the feeder, as well as drinking. One is definitely louder than the rest. I bet that is the male, lol!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Glad your chicks came in and that they seem to be doing ok. What? No pics of the cute little fuzzies? :th

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sorry, no pics. My phone camera doesn't do-si-do with my laptop. One of the Sussex isn't going to make it. We have tried water, sugar water, gator-aid water, even some watered down b-complex vitamin drops. Right now, she is lying on her back with her little feet up in the air, just barely breathing. Does not appear to be in pain, not squawking. She has not tried to drink on her own, nor eaten. I feel bad for her, but not in a panic.
On the good side, the other six seem to be doing fine. I will wait a few days before I let the grandkids see them, so the chicks can get a little tougher. (Not that the kids would hurt them; the youngest who will be here is almost 6, and has had chickens before)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Sorry about the chick. Did you try an eye dropper by any chance?