make your own bleach tablets??

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love putting bleach tablets into the toilets but I hate them also. So stopped using them....but does anyone have a "homemade" version of anything like this....something to put in the tank?????? that helps the way a bleach tablet does but isn't as caustic etc???

just wondering if there is an idea out there and hoping to know what ya'll might know.

I can't find a good sub for this. I guess I might just have to do without forever, but throwing out a post to see if anyone has any ideas on it????

I am fishing I guess..LOL

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I have always wanted to use tank toilet cleaners like that (pucks) but I have always had dogs that drank out of my toilets...I'd like to find something that uses vinegr instead:>) safe and healthy for the dog!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I hear ya about the dogs.

DUH for me....I guess I should google a health store and see what products they carry that are more natural? I buy tons of things from health food stores but never thought of checking out to see if they have this type of product available....hmm....

when you mentioned vinegar I thought natural and thought health food store. thanks will check!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Not sure if this is more environmentally friendly or not, but sometimes I will drop the fizzing tablets for dentures and let it fizz and soak the toilets, then I take borax and the brush and get busy scrubbing. I have really hard water and have a pumice stone on hand to get the ring if all else fails. I bet some of the frugal websites would have home made stuff listed. I do not use the bleach because of the septic.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
If you have really hard water I do know that a vinegar rinse for your tub shower and sink has great benefits. I used to do this, it keeps the soapscum sliding so it doesn't stick to the sides of the tub...stays clean alot longer. I bet if you poured vinegar in yoru toilet about 1/2 hour before cleaning it it would help with that too.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
If you have really hard water I do know that a vinegar rinse for your tub shower and sink has great benefits. I used to do this, it keeps the soapscum sliding so it doesn't stick to the sides of the tub...stays clean alot longer. I bet if you poured vinegar in yoru toilet about 1/2 hour before cleaning it it would help with that too.
Vinegar is my best friend here with our water, I use it for just about every home made cleaning solution including my carpet cleaner solution I make. My husband hates the smell, but oh well.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I want something solid that melts with many flushings to keep the bowl clean....like the benefit of the bleach tablet. But will search on the net and see what I come up with.....who knows what I might find..LOL