Make your own cottage cheese/cream cheese.

Neiklot

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A very easy-made cottage cheese that can be flavored with whatever you want!
(Garlic, herbs, etc. ..)

You will need: One liter of sour milk (is it a quart in the US?), a pot, some sort of strainer or filter.
(I use the kind that is to be straining juice)

Pour the sour milk into the pot, bring to a boil over low heat until the whey 'released' and break out of the milk.
Now you pour the sour milk into the strainer and let stand overnight. Pour / scrape the cheese from the strainer over a small bowl , add flavor = Done!

Durability: Without spices, about 1 week in the refrigerator
With spices/garlic etc, about 3-4days.

Good luck!

;) :)

/Neiklot

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Are you using whole raw milk, or store-bought pasturized milk or something else? And do you let it sour by leaving it sit out of the refrigerator? I tried leaving whole raw milk sit out and it just solidified, with watery stuff on top. Is it supposed to do that? (I was trying to make buttermilk, if I remember correctly)

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This may work for you, but it leaves out most of the steps.

Check out the mighty interwebs, where recipes for cottage cheese abound. A good recipe will have some lactic-acid producing culture and include cutting, cooking, and cooling of the curd.

I've had some luck making cheese and found it very frustrating when I wasn't lucky and a batch didn't turn out. It's better to get a proper recipe established first, then improvise.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Are you using whole raw milk, or store-bought pasturized milk or something else? And do you let it sour by leaving it sit out of the refrigerator? I tried leaving whole raw milk sit out and it just solidified, with watery stuff on top. Is it supposed to do that? (I was trying to make buttermilk, if I remember correctly)
Sounds like yogurt. You can make it into a cheese by draining the whey. Most other cheeses use tricks to make a curd that is more firm so that it can be cut, cooked, and drained. The difficulty with yogurt and ricotta is that the curd is so fine that it's really quite a challenge to get it to drain properly. It's not as much of a problem with small batches (1-2 gal) but it's much more of a problem with large batches. If you can't get it to drain, it'll rot.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Zoldani said:
I use fresh milk, it works.
All milk has some level of bacterial contamination, so "fresh milk" doesn't really mean much. Even pasteurized milk has bacteria in it.

Zoldani

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
When I say fresh milk I mean, go out milk the goat, come in and make cheese.

Neiklot

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Of course there are many many ways to make cheese, but this is how I do.
Fast and easy - perfect for a stressed parent with alot of things to do all the time.

I mostly use bought pasteurized milk. Has no dairy itself and for the moment no possibility to buy either.
BUT it works fine to make yoghurt out of fresh milk, but you must watch carefully so it does not turn sour.
("sour" in the wrong acidity!) And did you get sour milk, you will do the same as above,
sustainability is a few days shorter for unpasteurized cheese.

I think this is a super easy way to get a quick and easy toppings to the bread..
..or maybe some biscuits, homemade cottage cheese and a glass of homemade wine? ;)

Neiklot

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would add that there is a big cultural difference between filmjlker.
Maybe the one you have in the U.S. is different from our Swedish?

Different bacterial cultures also affects the taste of sour milk and so even the teaste and result of fresh cheese.

But please, try it out!!

And please, respond! :)

Neiklot

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hehe, FILMJLK = Swedish for "Sour milk"

Latest posts