Make your own cottage cheese/cream cheese.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Perhaps "cottage cheese" does not mean the same thing to everyone.

I'll just say that I've had problems making cheese when there was not sufficient acid. Ususally the cause was that I didn't wait long enough after adding a lactic-acid producing bacteria. The room temp also makes a difference, in my experience.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Cream cheese is actually even easier. Take the most 'fat full' version of yogurt you can get (I use the raw yogurt that I can get from the farm), wrap in cheese cloth, and hang over a container. The whey drips out, and what is left after about 24 hours (sometimes more if it is cool) is cream cheese. STUPID easy. I have a 2 gallon glass jar and a metal strainer that fits perfectly in the top. I line it with the cheese cloth, pour in the yogurt and 24 hours later tada cream cheese!

Neiklot

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
Perhaps "cottage cheese" does not mean the same thing to everyone.

I'll just say that I've had problems making cheese when there was not sufficient acid. Ususally the cause was that I didn't wait long enough after adding a lactic-acid producing bacteria. The room temp also makes a difference, in my experience.
Yes, if you make "real chees" u have to use some kind if bacteria.

Hm, i don't know if its the same - I have never been outside of Europe. :)

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I hate to say this but here where I live in the USA(Michigan) the way milk is produced for the consumers it will "rot" before it sours properly.
:( and Raw milk around here is strictly forbidden, I hate that. You almost can't get it even if you own the darn dairy.
When I can get my hands on it we often made farmers cheese by adding a bit of acid(lemon juice to vinegar) and heating gently till it broke.
I've made ricotta with store bought milk and while it is yummy it is not the same as good milk.
To make mozzarella with store bought milk I have to add calcium back to it to make a good curd that will melt the proper way.. sad sad thing.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Emerald, I was going to try to do you a favor and recommend that you check out the website "Real Milk.com" to find out where in your state you can buy raw milk. Apparently you can only get it raw if you buy a timeshare in a cow. Which sounds pretty good to me. you may be able to find out where on that website. But while I was looking, I opened a discussion site entitled "Why do some people drink raw milk?" which was a dumb article, but the last person to comment explained so well what pasturized milk does to your body. The poster was "Health-minded" and it was dated 8/4/12. The article was from Food Safety News, and the last poster was in opposition of the article's message. Great reading, but it taxed my brain (in a good way) So, anybody who wants to know why I drink raw milk, here's your answer! (sorry, I can't do a link like normal people)

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Emerald, I was going to try to do you a favor and recommend that you check out the website "Real Milk.com" to find out where in your state you can buy raw milk. Apparently you can only get it raw if you buy a timeshare in a cow. Which sounds pretty good to me. you may be able to find out where on that website. But while I was looking, I opened a discussion site entitled "Why do some people drink raw milk?" which was a dumb article, but the last person to comment explained so well what pasturized milk does to your body. The poster was "Health-minded" and it was dated 8/4/12. The article was from Food Safety News, and the last poster was in opposition of the article's message. Great reading, but it taxed my brain (in a good way) So, anybody who wants to know why I drink raw milk, here's your answer! (sorry, I can't do a link like normal people)
so lucky - can you be a bit more specific about where on that site you fund the discussion. I would be interested in reading it, but don't see anything of the sort when I go to http://www.realmilk.com/

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Emerald, I was going to try to do you a favor and recommend that you check out the website "Real Milk.com" to find out where in your state you can buy raw milk. Apparently you can only get it raw if you buy a timeshare in a cow. Which sounds pretty good to me. you may be able to find out where on that website. But while I was looking, I opened a discussion site entitled "Why do some people drink raw milk?" which was a dumb article, but the last person to comment explained so well what pasteurized milk does to your body. The poster was "Health-minded" and it was dated 8/4/12. The article was from Food Safety News, and the last poster was in opposition of the article's message. Great reading, but it taxed my brain (in a good way) So, anybody who wants to know why I drink raw milk, here's your answer! (sorry, I can't do a link like normal people)
Thanks for thinking of me! I do have someone that I get raw milk from occasionally. I can also go to Mooville and get cream line milk which is pasteurized but not homogenized but I do have budget restrictions which keep me from loading up on their milk. But alas.. I am so lactose intolerant and even with raw milk I've had problems lately.. not too bad if I keep the acidophiles pills with me. Making it into cheese and yo-cheese helps a bit tho.
I just see that it is hard to explain to people from other countries that our food has been so "processed to death to make it safe for us" that it doesn't even digest any longer. it also probably adds to the obesity problems.. Our bodies are so "hungry" for real food everyone over eats the crap stuff. the more crap we stuff in the more we are "hungry" and the vicious cycle keeps going.

ETA: I found the article easily and read everything. thanks for pointing me there. very interesting stuff. And clearly shows how many people do not know their elbows from their hind-ends.