Make your own low tech termite bait traps

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
In Kansas, termites are the norm.

I learned from the local pest control guy that ants hate termites. In the areas where we knew there was active termite activity, there was also major ant activity. He also told me that the purchased termite bait traps from the stores were 'iffy'. Sometimes they worked, other times they didn't. Well, he also makes a living spraying and doesn't live in the cheap seats in town, either. But if they are 'iffy', I might as well make my own and check them myself. I couldn't see paying him to install 'his' and a monthly fee to come out to check them.

So, instead of doing commercial bait traps, here's how to make your own. Simple stuff. First, dig a hole at least a foot deep, about 6' away from your building. Throw in a chunk of wood, like a hunk of scrap 2x4. Put a short piece of 1" PVC or any kind of metal pipe in the hole. You want it to be long enough to reach the wood yet short enough so it's not really sticking out of the ground too far. Pour sugar water on the wood, let it soak for a bit, then fill the hole back up with the dirt. The only reason for the pipe is so you have some way to add some more sugar water every once in a while. PVC will degrade over time in the sun, but use what you have around there. If your bait trap is in an area where you mow, obviously you want it short enough to mow over it, or have it stick way out and mow around it.

If there are termites around there, they will be attracted to the wet wood. The sugar will attract the ants initially and they'll take care of the termites. Next year, dig up one and see what ya got. No termites and ants? Good deal. Put the trap back together. Repeat on the next trap. The traps aren't going to create termites, but hopefully if there are any in the soil, they'll aim for the trap instead of your house.

Is this a sure fire thing? No. Will termites that are already in your building leave for the homemade trap? No. But it's cheap and green and could save you some bucks.

I have a longer ramble about this on my blog (link below).

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good post, Marianne.

On another little topic... Down in your signature, it says "My own lame blog:" What don't you take out the word lame. Not needed. ;)

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Really? "No termites and ants? Good deal." ROTFLMAO! Is the bait gone? If so your trap did not work [like a mouse had eaten the bait from a mouse trap without getting caught] If the bait is untouched maybe you just haven't got the target pests, or they have a easier food source like your house.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
Good post, Marianne.

On another little topic... Down in your signature, it says "My own lame blog:" What don't you take out the word lame. Not needed. ;)
Thanks, Joel. One of these days I'll have to add some stuff to my blog. :) I don't do much with it as a rule.

Daffodils At The Sea

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Marianne, I do have a question about what you want to find when you dig the trap up. If nothing has happened, the wood is just sitting there, then the termites didn't find it? Or the ants ate the termites? If the wood is a tiny bit eaten, does that mean the termites found it and then ants ate the termites? If it's really eaten up and they are there, then does that mean you don't have the right kind of ants? Isn't it the case that sugar ants don't eat meat? So wouldn't you want to attract the meat eating ants? Or do the sugar ants just hate the termites and shoo them away? Hopefully away from your house. Or what is it you hope to find?