Make your own washing soda

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Since this seems to get lost in the other thread ;) , I'm gonna post it here:

Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate, washing soda is sodium carbonate. It's a very easy chemical change we can do at home. Bake your baking soda for one hour at 250*.

I found this at this blog post, which has a link to the NYTimes article she got the info/idea from

Same blog different post talks about cheapest ways to find baking soda, and also mentions (in the comments) that sodium carbonate is what you can get at the pool supply store

edit - fix link

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
That is so good to know, since it is easy to get baking soda, and washing soda seems to be the ingredient that most people have trouble finding. Great idea, making a separate thread, too. We should all do this more often, as it is so hard to find important instructions buried in other threads. Great idea!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I can get baking soda cheap in bulk. WOOT!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Baking soda is more expensive here however, if you can find it already prepared it will not increase the cost of the laundry soap.

That is an awesome thing to know however, especially if you cannot find it or are out when it is time to make detergent.

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you, thank you, thank you! :bow

I was wondering what the difference was! I couldn't find washing soda anywhere and it seemed silly to have some shipped to me (especially when the whole goal for making laundry det. is to SAVE money.)

I got a huge box of baking soda and I've been sitting on a bar (well, not literally sitting..ha) of Fels Naptha and a box of Borax for nearly a year while looking for the washing soda.... I am so snowed in today anyways, so I guess it's now a good day for making laundry detergent! I was nearly out of the other stuff too!

Thanks for the fyi!!!! :weee

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Good luck, journey!

In a pinch, I've gone ahead and done laundry with the mixture before the 24-hour wait. It gels up overnight (if you are doing the wet recipe that is).

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just a question for those of you who can't find washing soda - you are looking in the laundry section of the store aren't you? I only ask because I have never looked for it and not found it. Its generally right next to the borax. I'll have to doublecheck prices, and see if it is cost effective for me to make my own.

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've asked several stockers and nobody even knew what I was talking about. They showed me regular baking soda, right next to the borax. Never thought to try a pool supply store though.