Reaction score
UName: Margaret
Birthday: September 7th
Hometown: Wood River, Illinois
Current Residence: Colorado Springs, Colorado
Relationship Status: married
Political Views: got some
Religious Views: got some of these too!

Activities: Lets put hobby kinds of stuff here... knit, crochet, spin, weave(beginner), garden, raise my mutts, paint, ummm... crazy ol' hippee artist kind of stuff goes here.

Interests: costuming, theater, reinacting, gardening, making stuff, and reading

Favorite Music: chants, drums, and rock... actually anything except most gansta rap kind of stuff (used to be in the music business) right now swing is king.

Favorite TV Shows: NCIS, Rachel, Dave Ramsey, don't really watch much tv as it isn't interesting.

Favorite Movies: Man on Fire, Serenity, Wizard of Oz, Eragon, there are others but then it is a list.

Favorite Books: Anything on knitting and other fiber arts, Tolkien, and Alternative time line novels.

About Me:mmm ... lets get started where I am...
I have MS so I am only being as sufficient as possible in town. I am planning to retire to about 10 acres in Southern Illinois someday. My husband, sister, and myself share a home. We have mutts...1 minipin momma dog named Bailey, 2 male minidauchsunds, and 3 minidaupin pups about 8 months old.
I no longer work outside the home, but really keep socially active since it helps me fight the urge to just sit and knit. I have almost all of my lawn converted to garden now, I have it all mixed up so my veggies go in with my landscape and no one seems to notice it enough on first glance. Still it produces enough veggies and some fruits that I don't need to buy much of those. I have a wonderful old cherry tree that is to big for me to climb... so I hire a neighborhood teen when it is cherry picking time. I am considering adding in a couple of hens this year, but that is still in the thinking hard process. I had a brown hen as a pet as a kid and have never gotten over the urge to hug chickens. LOL
My wonderful husband is a truck driver for the local garbage company. My sister helps around the house and works in a local office part time. At this point we also have the joy of temporary homes for her twin daughters and their men who are in the process of saving to buy their first homes. The idea that these kids are going to be able to put down substancial down payments and have small debt loads is warming my heart when it gets cold with the who didn't put this away zeal.
There is one cat in residence as well as a tropical fish tank, and anything that will grow under lights or in a window. This is a happy home and just packed with love and tempers. Passionate people are fun to be around.
Happy that everyone understands that I am not going to be raising farm animals, but working with what I got till I can.

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Welcome! You sound productive,crafty and down-to-earth...just right :)

makerofstuff

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I know that I like the way most veggies look when growing, and the other flowers help bring in pollenators. I have everything here from climbing roses to grapes and cherries so I am happy with the mix. I have been hoping to have more veggies this year. I am going to be doing more dehydrating this year than last also. I am almost a survival nut, but it is because I have been through a couple of disasters now and even though it didn't happen here, a hurricane can relocate stuff really efficiently for ya. I also traveled gypsy style with the Ren Fairs for many years and learned to live a simplier life. Some people think I have my head on sideways but it is those of us that look really strange like that who will be leading the way for others if anything bad happens. I (and my family) are listed with the county emergency preparedness in any way we can find. I am even thinking of doing some search and rescue training this summer. I think I have to much time on my hands when I get all moody and feel like I have been listening for the sky is falling echos.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
:welcome

Glad you are bringing up some of the older postings. We are getting to know you better.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum
will be great hearing your ideas.

I love you converted most of the lawn to garden. So simple to be sufficient in your own yard! COOL

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Welcome....glad to have you here! Sounds like you have a lot to teach us! Oh, and don't feel bad about hugging chickens....lots of us love our chickidoodles!

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Glad you joined us. I'd love to see some pictures of your garden. It sounds interesting.

Latest posts