Makin' Bacon this morning. Step by step.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Hey Gina some asian markets around town sell pork belly....although I am sure a butcher is going to give you better meat.

Ok Mr. Bacon......if a girl wanted a real smoker, what exactly would she look for? Hubby bought a crappy one at Costco. The thing is just T.E.R.R.I.B.L.E.

Any resources you can hook me up with to do a little reading? Tips? I really love smoked meats and woudl just LOVE to make my own bacon!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
~gd said:
Do you take questions?Salt "1/4 cup Kosher Salt,finely ground" Why specify Kosher salt (large flakes) and then say finely ground? Why not pickling/canning salt which comes finely ground to start with? If you have answer for that, do you measure out your Kosher salt and then grind it or grind it and then measure it. If you do it both ways you will find that the second way gives you a greater amount of salt than the first way.
Since I see no mention of a "cure"I assume your bacon requires freezing or refrigeration to keep it from going bad just like the stuff from the supermarket?
When I make my rub, I use the course salt because I get less salt in my rub that way, but I still get the flavor. I add all the ingredients together in my Vita-Mix, and blend it. That way the salt and the turbinado sugar are both finely ground when it is done.
Since this is a low sodium recipe, and I don't smoke the meat for a loooong period of time, it does have to be refrigerated/frozen. Basically what this way of cooking does, is impart an all natural smoke flavor that you just can't get out of a bottle, plus the added benefit of being low sodium.
If you try this recipe, I guarantee, that you will throw rocks at what they sell as "bacon" in the stores. There is no comparison flavor wise, and this stuff is actually good for you.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Dace said:
Hey Gina some asian markets around town sell pork belly....although I am sure a butcher is goin to ive you better meat.

Ok Mr. Bacon......if a girl wanted a real smoker, what exactly would she look for? Hubby bought a crappy one at Costco. The thing is just T.E.R.R.I.B.L.E.

Any resources you can hook me up with to do a little reading? Tips? I really love smoked meats and woudl just LOVE to make my own bacon!
OK Grasshopper........go here: http://www.barbecuenews.com/forum2/

read, read and read some more. There is a wealth of information on that site as well as equipment discussions. A LOT of the members are pros that do this for a living. A couple of them are even long time friends of mine. :D

I read and talked and chatted and thought about it for about 2 years before I had my smoker custom built. You can spend a TON of money on one, or you can do it low buck. Some championship winning meals have been cooked in a trash can smoker! The most important thing is to know your equipment and how it cooks. ;)

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
~gd said:
Do you take questions?Salt "1/4 cup Kosher Salt,finely ground" Why specify Kosher salt (large flakes) and then say finely ground? Why not pickling/canning salt which comes finely ground to start with? If you have answer for that, do you measure out your Kosher salt and then grind it or grind it and then measure it. If you do it both ways you will find that the second way gives you a greater amount of salt than the first way.
Since I see no mention of a "cure"I assume your bacon requires freezing or refrigeration to keep it from going bad just like the stuff from the supermarket?
When I make my rub, I use the course salt because I get less salt in my rub that way, but I still get the flavor. I add all the ingredients together in my Vita-Mix, and blend it. That way the salt and the turbinado sugar are both finely ground when it is done.
Since this is a low sodium recipe, and I don't smoke the meat for a loooong period of time, it does have to be refrigerated/frozen. Basically what this way of cooking does, is impart an all natural smoke flavor that you just can't get out of a bottle, plus the added benefit of being low sodium.
If you try this recipe, I guarantee, that you will throw rocks at what they sell as "bacon" in the stores. There is no comparison flavor wise, and this stuff is actually good for you.
I already 'throw rocks' at the wet "Bacon" they have there. I am in NC and can get dry CURRED ham and bacon if I ask the good old boys that do that cure and smoke. Usually buy a whole ham or a whole slab. Properly wrapped to keep out insects and mold, Hang it in a steel lined locker in an outbuilding to keep other varmits away. The price is high enough that I use it as a luxery flavor meat. A little part slice of ham gives a bunch of great gravy. A ounce or two of that bacon will flavor a whole mess of beans.

country freedom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
Da Rub............

Majic Dust Recipe

1/2 cup Paprika
1/4 cup Kosher Salt,finely ground
1/4 cup brown/turbinado Sugar plus a couple of tbls
3 tablespoons Mustard Powder
1/4 cup Mild Chili Powder
1/4 cup Ground Cumin OR Adobo
1/8 cup Ground Black Pepper
1/4 cup granulated Garlic
cup granulated Onion
1-2 tablespoons Cayenne Pepper OR Chipotle pepper
1 box of Black Cherry Jello (3 ounces)

If you want it a little hotter/spicier, increase the Mustard powder and the Black Pepper to 1/4 cup each

Now......ya'all better Copy/Paste this recipe.... on account, I ain't gonna give this out again.

:D :D :D
Thank you!! :bow :love
Another project for my decreasing family!! My children are slowly moving out! :lol:

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I had a major metal break through this morning. I was complaining about my in laws. Opps I mean I was discussing them and I remembered my FIL has the Cadillac of smokers in his big old fancy outdoor kitchen. It looks like an oven and he uses it for all kinds of stuff.

I am sure if I asked nicely he would let me use it. :ya :ya

I am on a mission!!!

Oh wait, so yo said an average temp of 200 deg. But for how long? For the same type of bacon you made? Still needing to fry but yet full of flavor.

gina

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've been thinking of this very thing. We have 3 bellies....count 'em 3!....in the freezer from the last 3 hogs we butchered. (We raise and sell meats, so they can accumulate quickly around here.)

Your finished bacon looks heavenly, SKR8PN. :drool Nice kitchen and 3 musketeers too!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
I had a major metal break through this morning. I was complaining about my in laws. Opps I mean I was discussing them and I remembered my FIL has the Cadillac of smokers in his big old fancy outdoor kitchen. It looks like an oven and he uses it for all kinds of stuff.

I am sure if I asked nicely he would let me use it. :ya :ya

I am on a mission!!!

Oh wait, so yo said an average temp of 200 deg. But for how long? For the same type of bacon you made? Still needing to fry but yet full of flavor.

gina
Gina, I cook my slabs at 200 degrees for about 3 hours. Long enough to flavor them, but not long enough to cook them all done. If I had to guess, I would say they are about 1/3 cooked. You want the fat to melt just enough to give you a nice soft bark on the outside of the meat.

Now Remember Grasshopper.... the wood and charcoal you use is very important. They will be a deciding factor in the flavor you end up with.

Rule#1 ONLY use NATURAL hardwood charcoal with NO additives. Kingsford is a big NO-NO!
Read and study Grasshopper. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

Rule#2 Select your wood as carefully as you would spices.
Reference guide for Woods used to Smoke Food

ACACIA - these trees are in the same family as mesquite. When burned in a smoker, acacia has a flavor similar to mesquite but not quite as heavy. Is a very hot burning wood.

ALDER - Very delicate with a hint of sweetness. Good with fish, pork, poultry, and light-meat game birds.

ALMOND - A sweet smoke flavor, light ash. Good with all meats.

APPLE - Very mild with a subtle fruity flavor, slightly sweet. Good with poultry (turns skin dark brown) and pork.

ASH - Fast burner, light but distinctive flavor. Good with fish and red meats.

BIRCH - Medium-hard wood with a flavor similar to maple. Good with pork and poultry.

CHERRY - Mild and fruity. Good with poultry, pork and beef. Some List members say the cherry wood is the best wood for smoking. Wood from chokecherry trees may produce a bitter flavor.

COTTONWOOD - It is a softer wood than alder and very subtle in flavor. Use it for fuel but use some chunks of other woods (hickory, oak, pecan) for more flavor. Don't use green cottonwood for smoking.

CRABAPPLE - Similar to apple wood.

GRAPEVINES - Tart. Provides a lot of smoke. Rich and fruity. Good with poultry, red meats, game and lamb.

HICKORY - Most commonly used wood for smoking--the King of smoking woods. Sweet to strong, heavy bacon flavor. Good with pork, ham and beef.

LILAC - Very light, subtle with a hint of floral. Good with seafood and lamb.

MAPLE - Smoky, mellow and slightly sweet. Good with pork, poultry, cheese, and small game birds.

MESQUITE - Strong earthy flavor. Good with beef, fish, chicken, and game. One of the hottest burning woods.

MULBERRY - The smell is sweet and reminds one of apple.

OAK - Heavy smoke flavor--the Queen of smoking wood. RED OAK is good on ribs, WHITE OAK makes the best coals for longer burning. All oak varieties reported as suitable for smoking. Good with red meat, pork, fish and heavy game.

ORANGE, LEMON and GRAPEFRUIT - Produces a nice mild smoky flavor. Excellent with beef, pork, fish and poultry.

PEAR - A nice subtle smoke flavor. Much like apple. Excellent with chicken and pork.

PECAN - Sweet and mild with a flavor similar to hickory. Tasty with a subtle character. Good with poultry, beef, pork and cheese. Pecan is an all-around superior smoking wood.

SWEET FRUIT WOODS - APRICOT, PLUM, PEACH, NECTARINE - Great on most white or pink meats, including chicken, turkey, pork and fish. The flavor is milder and sweeter than hickory.

WALNUT - ENGLISH and BLACK - Very heavy smoke flavor, usually mixed with lighter woods like almond, pear or apple. Can be bitter if used alone. Good with red meats and game.

Other internet sources report that wood from the following trees is suitable for smoking: AVOCADO, BAY, CARROTWOOD, KIAWE, MADRONE, MANZANITA, GUAVA, OLIVE, BEECH, BUTTERNUT, FIG, GUM, CHESTNUT, HACKBERRY, PIMIENTO, PERSIMMON, and WILLOW. The ornamental varieties of fruit trees (i.e. pear, cherry, apple, etc.) are also suitable for smoking.

Types of wood that is unsuitable or even poisonous when used for grilling. Don't use any wood from conifer trees, such as PINE, FIR, SPRUCE, REDWOOD, CEDAR, CYPRESS, etc.

There are many trees and shrubs in this world that contain chemicals toxic to humans--toxins that can even survive the burning process. Remember, you are going to eat the meat that you grill and the smoke particles and chemicals from the wood and what may be on or in the wood are going to get on and in the meat. Use only wood for grilling that you are sure of.

If you have some wood and do not know what it is, DO NOT USE IT FOR GRILLING FOOD. Burn it in your fireplace but not your smoker.

Also ELM and EUCALYPTUS wood is unsuitable for smoking, as is the wood from SASSAFRAS, SYCAMORE and LIQUID AMBER trees.

Here are some more woods that you should not to use for smoking:

Never use lumber scraps, either new or used. First, you cannot know for sure what kind of wood it is; second, the wood may have been chemically treated; third, you have no idea where the wood may have been or how it was used. For all you know, that free oak planking could have been used in a sewage treatment plant.

Never use any wood that has been painted or stained. Paint and stains can impart a bitter taste to the meat and old paint often contains lead.
Do not use wood scraps from a furniture manufacturer as this wood is often chemically treated.

Never use wood from old pallets. Many pallets are treated with chemicals that can be hazardous to your health and the pallet may have been used to carry chemicals or poison.

Avoid old wood that is covered with mold and fungus that can impart a bad taste to your meat.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Skr8pn, thanks for taking the time to put out all the info. I have copy and pasted it to file and also printed a hard copy.

So I finally called my local butcher. 3.99lb for side pork. :ep

That sounds a bit high. no???

g