Makin' Bacon this morning. Step by step.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
BACON ........ :drool

I hope the three amigos at least got a bit of bacon grease on their dinner tonight. ;)

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I'm drooling all over the keyboard. :lol:

Ohio is the place to be, I am heading east ------>

Special secret rub, copied and pasted ;)

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
I'm in Athens, OH right now. How far away is that?
Athens is down near the WV border.........I am just North of Mansfield.....I'd reckon 2 - 2.5 hours.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Wow, the recipe. :bow I feel so lucky!!!

I'm calling the butcher tomorrow.

I have something that looks like this sitting in my yard. I have never used it to smoke anything. Do you have a link or a book you can recommend? After what I paid for bacon last week it can't hurt to try.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...3dC4LUjgTY7aCeCw&sa=title&ved=0CBUQ8wIwAjgA#p

gina
Gina.....the thing to remember about your style of smoker, is the temp will be hotter the closer the meat is to the fire box, and cooler towards the smoke stack end. It is also harder to maintain the temp since the metal is kinda thin, but it is still a very workable smoker. I would highly recommend a digital remote thermometer. If it has a thermometer mounted in the lid, do not cook by it, until you can verify how accurate it is.

I have one like this http://www.amazon.com/Polder-Cooking-Thermometer-Timer-Clock/dp/B00004S4U0
I just stick the probe thru a potato and set it on the grate next to the meat. That way, you KNOW what temperature your cooking at.
When the meat is done, you also have a baked potato to go with it!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
BACON ........ :drool

I hope the three amigos at least got a bit of bacon grease on their dinner tonight. ;)
They are so spoiled, it isn't funny.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Do you take questions?Salt "1/4 cup Kosher Salt,finely ground" Why specify Kosher salt (large flakes) and then say finely ground? Why not pickling/canning salt which comes finely ground to start with? If you have answer for that, do you measure out your Kosher salt and then grind it or grind it and then measure it. If you do it both ways you will find that the second way gives you a greater amount of salt than the first way.
Since I see no mention of a "cure"I assume your bacon requires freezing or refrigeration to keep it from going bad just like the stuff from the supermarket?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Around here, we can get both fine and coarse Kosher salt.
Thats great for you! can you remember the brands, I'll start searching again, to date I use Morton Kosher for coarse, and Morton pickling for fine. Because of the caking problem here in the humid south my salt shakers have iodized(sp) with an anticaking agent. Both the kosher and the pickling salts are transfered to airtight containers when the boxes are opened otherwice they turn into salt bricks! I have to be careful if the recipie does not specify which type of salt due to the big differences in bulk densities between the three types.