Making a BioPod!

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Have I already posted about a Biopod at some point? If so, apologies :hide
http://www.thebiopod.com/

Anyway, Josh and I went to a reptile show this morning, and they were displaying a Biopod. I've wanted one for quite awhile, but was squashed by the $180 price tag. Well, this place was displaying the second generation design, and I could totally make one.

I'd need a large tupperware, a catch bin with hooks to hang over the side, a panel of textured plastic to make the ramp, a hot knif to cut the tea drainage hole, a pipe with a valve, a teensy piece of mesh to filter the pipe, and a big tube of some kind of epoxy or sealant.

And then, I shall turn all my kitchen garbage into compost tea and black soldier fly grubs. My chickens and geckos will love me!

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thats pretty neat. Do you have to start out with some grubs to get it going? If you decide to make your own, please post how you go about it, I'm very interested.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think getting it started depends on where in the country you are.
I left the lid to my scratch bin off once, and a week later I had tons of soldier fly grubs! The chickens loved it, it was like trail mix for birds :D

I'm going to see the soon to be in-laws tomorrow, and I will ask the Poppa. His shop skills are legendary, and I'm pretty sure he'll have some great construction ideas.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Is it tacky to revive one's own thread?

Anyway, I am finally able to get around to building this thing. I've moved from Tuscaloosa to Prattville, from middle of nowhere in the woods to suburbia nightmaresville. Not thrilled, but it's not all bad and it's just for three years while husband is in law school. Anyway, I still want to make this thing so I can feed my reptiles for free, but I'm wondering how much it will smell? Any composters think it'd be ok, or would it stink too much and make my neighbors hate me?

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I have no idea but I'VE BEEN WONDERING WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU! Glad you're ok!! We missed you!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I have no idea but I'VE BEEN WONDERING WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU! Glad you're ok!! We missed you!

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Life got really hectic and I had very little time for online doodling.
Got married, moved to Prattville (near Montgomery), tried to work at a crappy restaurant job, couldn't stand it and quit, went back to what I love and am good at (vet tech). I hit the jackpot and got a *great* tech job with a house call vet, it's like the holy grail of vet tech jobs. Husband started law school and is buried in paperwork.

I seriously miss having chickens, store eggs are inedible. :p

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Congratulations on your marriage and new job!!! Uggg, crappy restaurant jobs, I have had a few of those.

gina