making a winter work coat

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here ya go-- Cabela's Roughneck Duck Hooded Work Jacket - Regular

You'd want to get it a size smaller than what you would wear in womens. Mine fit me really well. It feels and looks lightweight, but being insulated and windproof, they are very warm. I've certainly had good weather conditions to put it to the test here lately. :p We ended up buying 3 of them and if I'd had more money to spend I would have gotten a couple more for Christmas presents. Nice, practical coat and a good price, imo.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
That's almost just like the one gave one of DH's employees this winter, only it was tan and looked much softer than that material. I have one I use all the time like that. It was 25 degrees this morning, and I was sweating outside in it. A bit TOO warm sometimes :lol:

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
My current chore coat is from Cabela's too, I do not know the item # but it is a tan duck canvas field-jacket (from their hunting goods section), I am extremely pleased with the quality. It is lined only with flannel but I wear a thick fleecy liner inside it and is *plenty* warm and comfy.

Another thought about alterations, BB -- what if you got a coat that fit you in all other respects (shoulders, arms, etc) but was too tight around the middle, and simply sew a "falsie" liner into it to extend the front so it will zip or button or whatever your preferred closure is. That would be SUPER easy, a lazy person could just get something suitable from a thrift store and amputate the front panels to sew in, or you could actually sew your own from scratch if you prefer. It would look like a jacket worn with the liner zipped and the outer shell unzipped.

(I would not worry about being cold etc -- that is how I practically always wear my barn coats around here and it is MUCH nastier than any weather you get down there :p)

Pat

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
thanks for the ideas Pat. they are all good and would probably work well. i would like something that was waterproof though. perhaps the whole thing could be if i could find a cotton insert that i could wax...

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I have made suit bags, bridle bags, saddle covers and even a window topper out of cotton duck. The main thing is having a good sturdy sewing machine and the proper needles.

A coat in that material for the outside and a liner should be very doable. And waxing should be easy as well. Just remember to melt the wax in a double boiler to prevent fires and brush it on. When dry just iron with news paper above and below.

Why not buy a bit of material and make a purse or other small item to practice on.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
thanks FF. i've found some nice cotton duck and some nice twill so i feel like this might actually be a possibility! i'm making a body mold dressform tomorrow which should make this process a lot easier!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
As someone who is larger let me make another suggestion.

Go visit a Tractor Supply if there is one near you. Their shirts and work wear have under arm gussets that makes wearing them very comfortable. Take notes and duplicate them in your coat. ;)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
bibliophile birds said:
thanks for the ideas Pat. they are all good and would probably work well. i would like something that was waterproof though. perhaps the whole thing could be if i could find a cotton insert that i could wax...
Just make the 'falsie' out of something waterproof :p Or wool, which will still get wet but won't make you *cold* when it's wet.

Also there are spray- or paint-on materials for waterproofing or rewaterproofing coats or horse blankets that you might try, if you would prefer to go that route.

Pat