Making and freezing home made yogurt, freezing milk

madbrain

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hi,

ORChick said:
We are just 2 in my household, and we sometimes use a lot of milk, and sometimes not. It is cheaper to buy in gallons (as you have noticed), but a gallon is usually too much for us, so I freeze it. I buy organic, whole, homogenized/pasteurized milk (because that's the best I can do where I live). If the gallon jug has dimples on the sides (some do) you can freeze it as is - the dimples will bulge out with the expansion. If not, then either remove some milk to make more room in the jug, or transfer the milk to different containers I have some 3/4 gal. plastic jugs, and I fill them, leaving at least a couple of inches free at the top. I don't know how long the milk lasts, but I have had some frozen for at least a couple of months. The day before I anticipate needing more milk I take it out of the freezer, and put it on a plate or tray on the kitchen counter; I leave it until it is almost thawed, but still with some ice, and then refrigerate it. If you are more organized and forward thinking than I am you could just put it directly in the 'fridge, but it will take longer to thaw. The plate/tray is important to catch the condensation drips; and, if using the commercial jugs, there is always a small chance that it might have sprung a leak (this has only happened twice IME, out of dozens of frozen jugs). I only buy 2 or 3 gallons at a time, as I can't fit more in the freezer, but it has never been unfit to drink once thawed. There is a certain texture difference (as has been noted) but it may or may not bother you. I don't drink milk, only use it in cooking and yogurt and kefir, so never notice. DH used to complain a bit, but doesn't anymore - the only thing that has changed is his perception :lol:
As to icecream - personally, I would be inclined to make it more often rather than try to store it - but we don't eat much icecream. My brother on the other hand eats a lot of it - though he doesn't make it, only buys it. He always puts a piece of clingwrap over the top, pressing down to exclude air, before putting the lid back on the box. This seems to help, though he also only buys what he wants at the moment, and not in quantity.
Thanks, that's very helpful ! If I can keep the milk for 2 months, and the starter cultures for at least as long, that should reduce the need to frequently buy more milk. I think I would just try to thaw it in the fridge.
Have you ever tried to freeze your own homemade yogurt and it eat later ?

Re: the ice cream/sorbets/frozen yogurt, I will make smaller quantities in the future, after I am done with my current stocks. That might take a while, unless they happen to go bad.
I want to try to make some with alternate ingredients. I ordered some stevia and xylitol (NOW brand).
The very first ice cream I made was with heavy cream, and that was way too creamy for me. My next ones were made with organic half and half from trader joe's, and turned up much better.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
madbrain said:
Hi,

ORChick said:
We are just 2 in my household, and we sometimes use a lot of milk, and sometimes not. It is cheaper to buy in gallons (as you have noticed), but a gallon is usually too much for us, so I freeze it. I buy organic, whole, homogenized/pasteurized milk (because that's the best I can do where I live). If the gallon jug has dimples on the sides (some do) you can freeze it as is - the dimples will bulge out with the expansion. If not, then either remove some milk to make more room in the jug, or transfer the milk to different containers I have some 3/4 gal. plastic jugs, and I fill them, leaving at least a couple of inches free at the top. I don't know how long the milk lasts, but I have had some frozen for at least a couple of months. The day before I anticipate needing more milk I take it out of the freezer, and put it on a plate or tray on the kitchen counter; I leave it until it is almost thawed, but still with some ice, and then refrigerate it. If you are more organized and forward thinking than I am you could just put it directly in the 'fridge, but it will take longer to thaw. The plate/tray is important to catch the condensation drips; and, if using the commercial jugs, there is always a small chance that it might have sprung a leak (this has only happened twice IME, out of dozens of frozen jugs). I only buy 2 or 3 gallons at a time, as I can't fit more in the freezer, but it has never been unfit to drink once thawed. There is a certain texture difference (as has been noted) but it may or may not bother you. I don't drink milk, only use it in cooking and yogurt and kefir, so never notice. DH used to complain a bit, but doesn't anymore - the only thing that has changed is his perception :lol:
As to icecream - personally, I would be inclined to make it more often rather than try to store it - but we don't eat much icecream. My brother on the other hand eats a lot of it - though he doesn't make it, only buys it. He always puts a piece of clingwrap over the top, pressing down to exclude air, before putting the lid back on the box. This seems to help, though he also only buys what he wants at the moment, and not in quantity.
Thanks, that's very helpful ! If I can keep the milk for 2 months, and the starter cultures for at least as long, that should reduce the need to frequently buy more milk. I think I would just try to thaw it in the fridge.
Have you ever tried to freeze your own homemade yogurt and it eat later ?

Re: the ice cream/sorbets/frozen yogurt, I will make smaller quantities in the future, after I am done with my current stocks. That might take a while, unless they happen to go bad.
I want to try to make some with alternate ingredients. I ordered some stevia and xylitol (NOW brand).
The very first ice cream I made was with heavy cream, and that was way too creamy for me. My next ones were made with organic half and half from trader joe's, and turned up much better.
I'm glad that was useful. I only freeze yogurt as a starter, but I only use the starter for 6 months before freezing a new lot, and sometimes there is a bit left over. It is a little watery, but a good mixing takes care of that, and then it is fine for eating. I think that, within reason, not much actually goes *bad* in the freezer - i.e. gets to the point of making one sick. It is certainly the case that things can reach a point where they are no longer palatable, and that is usually obvious once thawed, or, at worst, after being cooked. One bite is enough to clue one in. I understand that you are dealing with severe health issues, but even so I wouldn't be too concerned with frozen foods. Rancid meat (which is about the worst case scenario I can think of, from my freezer anyway), is not poisonous, and is very obvious with the first (very small) bite. If it tastes/smells even a little off I would, especially with your health issues, toss it out. But a tiny taste to be sure should not adversely affect even a sick person; if it tastes bad spit it out, and toss the rest. Good luck on your journey towards more healthy eating; you've come to a place with many knowledgeable people - if you have an open mind. Much of what is discussed here is not entirely in line with conventional wisdon :lol:, but no less valid for that.

Latest posts