making basic stuffing

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
share some recipes.

I don't ever make alot of stuffing and my is kinda boring and tasteless in a way.

let me know how you make yours...thanks

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I just make a skillet of cornbread and break it up, take some end pieces of bread and crumble them, add a half teaspoon of sage, a teaspoon of salt, chop up a medium onion and add it, add a bit of garlic powder or minced garlic, a half teaspoon of oregano, a half teaspoon of rosemary, a teaspoon of celery seed, some fresh ground black pepper to taste, and whatever other favorite herb. It's pretty simple. You can cater to your own taste when making stuffing. There is no rock solid recipe, it's just one of those things you use your imagination and experiment with until you get it the way you like it. I used to use italian breadcrumbs in mine, and it makes it OH SO GOOD! Now I just add everything myself ;)

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I just make a skillet of cornbread and break it up, take some end pieces of bread and crumble them, add a half teaspoon of sage, a teaspoon of salt, chop up a medium onion and add it, add a bit of garlic powder or minced garlic, a half teaspoon of oregano, a half teaspoon of rosemary, a teaspoon of celery seed, some fresh ground black pepper to taste, and whatever other favorite herb. It's pretty simple. You can cater to your own taste when making stuffing. There is no rock solid recipe, it's just one of those things you use your imagination and experiment with until you get it the way you like it. I used to use italian breadcrumbs in mine, and it makes it OH SO GOOD! Now I just add everything myself ;)
Ditto!

But, I use all cornbread, made a few days ahead preferably and pork sausage!! :drool I put all the seasonings in the cornbread when I bake it and cook the onion and celery with the sausage.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You guys are going to think I'm a freak (Oops, too late, right?!!) but I've never had cornbread stuffing! :ep

I was taught how to make stuffing many moons ago by an old Italian guy - it was a compromise, I wanted his spaghetti sauce recipe (best sauce in the world! Instead of meatballs, it had rolled/tied beef, that had a fantastic 'spread' inside - fall apart, melt in your mouth delicious. :drool ) He refused to part with it because "It came over on the boat, and you're NOT Italian" :rolleyes: Anyway, he taught me to make stuffing, HIS way, instead:

A loaf of white bread, cubed. Stick the cubes in a brown paper bag for at least three days, but not more than a week. You want very dry bread, but not croutons, per se. (He will haunt you if you cheat and buy the stuffing croutons, of that I am certain. :D
Melt two sticks of butter in a pan. Add a large onion, minced and a whole bunch of celery, de-stringed and chopped fine. Simmer over low heat until everything is soft and see thru. Add poultry seasoning to taste (I like it and add gobs) He didn't measure, and neither do I.
Pour the bread cubes in a large bowl, pour the onion/celery mixture over, and toss well to coat. This would be the time to add salt and pepper, if you want it.
Pour into a buttered casserole dish, cover with foil and bake in a 300 degree oven for 'as long as it takes' (Depends on my oven - the one I have now takes almost an hour). Remove foil during last ten minutes, but don't throw it away! When it comes out of the oven, tent it, to keep it moist until you're ready to eat.
He thought adding meat was sacrilege. I live in fear of him finding out I did it and knocking my block off, so I never do. :gig

Now, lets just hope he doesn't infect my dreams for passing this recipe along! Crazy old man :lol:

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
I make it kinda like WBF and add onion, celery, mushrooms, raisins and walnuts if it is bread stuffing. No walnuts with cornbread.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks everyone. I will do cornbread stuffing now because hubby and kiddo are cornbread freaks. I think that would pump up the volume on the taste of stuffing.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I make my stuffing, which is really dressing because I don't ever stuff it into a bird, gluten free these days. Here is what I do:

Gluten Free Herb Dressing or Stuffing

I start with a Bob's Red Mill Homemade Wonderful Bread mix in my bread machine.

To that mix I add 2 t minced garlic, 2 t thyme, 1 t crushed sage and a pinch of oregano.

I add an extra egg and use water in the recipe instead of milk.

This ends up as a glorious herb bread. (You can add cheddar cheese chunks at the last mixing and just eat it like that.)

Then I cube up the herb bread loaf and toast it lightly on a cookie sheet which actually adds to the flavor.

Finally I combine the croutons with sliced mushrooms, diced turkey livers (if you like giblets), diced and sweated gently in butter onions and celery. I have also added water chestnuts, or other ingredients on occasions.

I use strong broth (either turkey or chicken) for the moisture in the stuffing. It should be pretty moist. Then add plenty of salt and pepper and maybe more herbs after a taste test.

The whole thing goes into a buttered cake pan and is baked for around 30 minutes or so at 350 until it is brown and of a good texture. I often bake my dressing along with my sweet potatoes and pies at Thanksgiving. It tastes great!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
You guys are going to think I'm a freak (Oops, too late, right?!!) but I've never had cornbread stuffing! :ep

I was taught how to make stuffing many moons ago by an old Italian guy - it was a compromise, I wanted his spaghetti sauce recipe (best sauce in the world! Instead of meatballs, it had rolled/tied beef, that had a fantastic 'spread' inside - fall apart, melt in your mouth delicious. :drool ) He refused to part with it because "It came over on the boat, and you're NOT Italian" :rolleyes: Anyway, he taught me to make stuffing, HIS way, instead:

A loaf of white bread, cubed. Stick the cubes in a brown paper bag for at least three days, but not more than a week. You want very dry bread, but not croutons, per se. (He will haunt you if you cheat and buy the stuffing croutons, of that I am certain. :D
Melt two sticks of butter in a pan. Add a large onion, minced and a whole bunch of celery, de-stringed and chopped fine. Simmer over low heat until everything is soft and see thru. Add poultry seasoning to taste (I like it and add gobs) He didn't measure, and neither do I.
Pour the bread cubes in a large bowl, pour the onion/celery mixture over, and toss well to coat. This would be the time to add salt and pepper, if you want it.
Pour into a buttered casserole dish, cover with foil and bake in a 300 degree oven for 'as long as it takes' (Depends on my oven - the one I have now takes almost an hour). Remove foil during last ten minutes, but don't throw it away! When it comes out of the oven, tent it, to keep it moist until you're ready to eat.
He thought adding meat was sacrilege. I live in fear of him finding out I did it and knocking my block off, so I never do. :gig

Now, lets just hope he doesn't infect my dreams for passing this recipe along! Crazy old man :lol:
This is essentially the same stuffing that my mother always made, and that I make now. She got it from her 1953 edition of Joy of Cooking. I have taken to adding some chopped, cooked chestnuts to it when I have any on hand. And always a large handful of chopped parsley. "J of C" calls it "dry stuffing", because no broth or egg is added, but it is never dry when done.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:

My Mom and Grandma did very similar but simply with day-old bread. I mix it up a bit by using Rye bread and/or multi-grain. Corn bread sounds like something yummy to try next time :)