Making corned beef and bacon

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I can't use celery because I am quite allergic/sensitive to it. One day I hope this corrects itself....I have hope, as many of my food issues are starting to reverse, finally.

Tomorrow I plan on cooking some up for supper....can't wait to try it! I harvested the rest of my organic potatoes and it will be corned beef hash, fried up in lots of lard, tomorrow night....can't wait! :drool
I am reminded of a story my mother used to tell. When I was a baby, and my brother about 5, my parents went to a party, taking me, but leaving brother with a baby sitter. My mother had also left a roast of beef in the oven, with instructions to the sitter on when it should come out. When we got back home my mother was horrified to find that the sitter had dutifully removed the roast from the oven, and proceeded to put the whole thing through the meat grinder. She couldn't imagine wanting the meat for sandwiches, or for any other purpose than hash, and had proceeded to "hash" the whole thing, to "help" my mother out! Mother was quite put out! :lol:

Enjoy your hash, but you might want to also keep some aside to eat whole, with carrots, cabbage and potatoes.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Enjoy your hash, but you might want to also keep some aside to eat whole, with carrots, cabbage and potatoes.
Oh, yeah! New England boiled dinner, we call that, and it is a favorite of mine. I make it once a year in spite of the chemicals, but now will enjoy it more often, chemical-free. I don't know why I never did this before, there is nothing to it, really.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
:th It was SOOOOOOO good! I diced some boiled potatoes from the garden with about the same amount of chopped corned beef (cooked it yesterday, boiled for three hours), mixed some lard in it and fried it in lard. I was hoping it would make patties but I ended up frying it loose. We both ate some with a big pile of green beans cooked with salt pork. I had to get up and make some more, it was so good! Then I prepared another batch for tomorrow with the leftover potatoes and some more of the cooked corned beef.

cabinchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
:th It was SOOOOOOO good! I diced some boiled potatoes from the garden with about the same amount of chopped corned beef (cooked it yesterday, boiled for three hours), mixed some lard in it and fried it in lard. I was hoping it would make patties but I ended up frying it loose. We both ate some with a big pile of green beans cooked with salt pork. I had to get up and make some more, it was so good! Then I prepared another batch for tomorrow with the leftover potatoes and some more of the cooked corned beef.
:drool

farmerbrown

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
The saltpetre is to prevent botulism, a very dangerous toxin.

Farmer Brown

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Since I am not storing it in the cellar, I'm not concerned about botulism.....it is brined for ten days, then frozen.

Hey, I just thought of something....I wonder how it would be canned? I'm always looking for new ideas for instant meals since our work schedule often has both of us working through a normal supper hour, then there are critter care chores when we get home.....and we rarely ever get take-out. I bet corned beef, with its three hour boil time, would be fantastic canned!

Gotta try that next time.

Latest posts