Making homemade soap

Leah123

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hi,
I want to make homemade soap, But does anyone know where I can get Lye and Glycerin?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @Leah123 :) Afraid I can't help you with your question, but someone here will know, I'm sure.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Glycerin is a product of actual soap. Many firms syphon it off to package separately at a higher price. Because it is formed during soap making and left in, the soaps are naturally more moisturizing. Add the oils to the mix and you can see why these soaps are so good for the skin.

I buy food grade lye, so that I know it is pure enough for human use. If you buy types off the shelf in hardware, may not be good for soaps. Grandma used to make her own with rainwater & hardwood ash. I don't want to have to judge strength or store liquid. What I get is extremely fine granules, almost powder. Will have to go look for invoice to provide info....won't happen tonight. LOL Tomorrow after work I'll give it a look.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think I read that the test for homemade lye using water and ashes is that a freshly-laid egg will float in it, but I don't know any more than that. It might be a good exercise to make homemade lye and use it to make soap at least once so you know how to make it in the event that lye becomes difficult to acquire.

Latest posts