Making kefir

KnittyGritty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just got my grains yesterday and have them in milk for my first time. NT says to cover the jar with cloth so it can breathe, and the site where I purchased the grains says the same thing, but
www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com video says to just screw on a lid, and that she's done that for over nine years with no problems. Does it really need to breathe, or am I okay with just a lid?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When I was actively kefir- ing I used a plastic canning jar lid and left it kinda loose. Worked great.

G

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I put a lid on mine, but don't screw it down (keeps dust and cat hair out :)). The next day, after fishing the grains out, I return the grains to the jar and refill with milk, and I put the finished kefir in another jar, screw on the lid, and leave it on the counter until I use it. Having the lid on during this "second fermentation" helps it get a little fizzy, which I like.
And I second the suggestion about reading Dom's kefir pages - annoying writing style, but very informative :lol:

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I keep my kefir on the top shelf in one of my kitchen cupboards in a glass peanut butter jar with a plastic lid.

My kids pretty much run it now, they make smoothies for all of us after school every day--take the grains out, plop them into a clean jar, lid on and back into the cupboard. I just checked, and the lid is on tight.

Our grains multiply like CRAZY, I'm always dividing them to share and have even chucked some into the compost when I didn't have anyone to share with because we always have lots.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
moolie said:
I keep my kefir on the top shelf in one of my kitchen cupboards in a glass peanut butter jar with a plastic lid.

My kids pretty much run it now, they make smoothies for all of us after school every day--take the grains out, plop them into a clean jar, lid on and back into the cupboard. I just checked, and the lid is on tight.

Our grains multiply like CRAZY, I'm always dividing them to share and have even chucked some into the compost when I didn't have anyone to share with because we always have lots.
Do you have chickens? They love the grains. They seem to like the kefir too, if it is mixed with something they can grab with their beaks - I like to give them grain softened in hot water on cold winter mornings, and usually mix in some kefir.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Nope, can't have chickens in my city :(

KnittyGritty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses! I'll read up on those links.