Making Liver/organ meats Palatable

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Chicken liver pate is the best!

Mash cooked livers, some cooked onion, butter, salt and pepper.

Refridgerate and serve cold on any variety of crackers or toast.

The rest of the gizzards gets cut up small for the dogs.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
For beef liver, The Wife Coats the liver with flour, and browns it a bit. Then she puts it in the oven with onions and water, and bakes it at 325 until tender. Toss that onto some mashed potato's and you have a meal to die for! :drool :drool :drool

For chicken livers, we like to cook them up in skillet with some peppers and onions and a little flour/water to make gravy. Serve on a bed of white rice.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yum! Chicken liver cooked with onions and red pepper on rice is what I had for lunch. My kids like it too.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Ohter than feeding them to the chickens, or dogs, most of your suggestions still make the livers taste like liver. the idea is to flavour or hide the taste fo liver , for thse of us who cant stand the taste of liver. I've tried several ways of cooking liver, and in the end, it just still tasts like liver which is gross. i can understand tryin got hide it in with ground meat, though, that I might be able to do.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Ohter than feeding them to the chickens, or dogs, most of your suggestions still make the livers taste like liver. the idea is to flavour or hide the taste fo liver , for thse of us who cant stand the taste of liver. I've tried several ways of cooking liver, and in the end, it just still tasts like liver which is gross. i can understand tryin got hide it in with ground meat, though, that I might be able to do.
Simmering in bone broth actually does cover the flavor very well.
But yes, distributing it throughout all grind meats is ideal in many ways.
We have it in all our sausages and plain meat.
That way we get a steady dose of the iron and other goodies throughout the year.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I simply cannot believe nobody fries chicken livers!! Seriously? Spice up some flour, roll the liver in it, and deep fry it! Delicious, and with just a bit of hot sauce.... :drool :drool I know what I am having for supper tomorrow, you all made me hungry with this thread ;)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I simply cannot believe nobody fries chicken livers!! Seriously? Spice up some flour, roll the liver in it, and deep fry it! Delicious, and with just a bit of hot sauce.... :drool :drool I know what I am having for supper tomorrow, you all made me hungry with this thread ;)
I don't but my DH does. He LOVES liver!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I think all offal is just awful! Yuk! But intellectually....I wish I could choke it down.

My mother used to wrap each chicken liver...or maybe halves...in strips of bacon, secure it with a toothpick, and fry it up until the bacon is crispy.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Free i think i love yo' momma - bacon AND liver.. golly. can she adopt me?

and i'm not afraid to admit that i love liver in the wurst way.