Making meat, Alaska style

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow, that moose is huge! Great pics!

I got some bear meat from my step-dad, but I still haven't cooked it yet. I've been putting it off because I don't want to make it taste bad--I want the kids to be open to trying different things. I need to just go ahead and make it though!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mr.B.... you MUST show pics of the processing! If ya have them that is. LOL ;)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hubs almost got a moose a few years back, but his hunting buddy scared it away :rolleyes:

Here in the city we eat a lot of bison and elk from producers we have got to know at the farmer's market, but I sure do enjoy wild game when hubs can get it. I've never had bear though, when I lived on Haida Gwaii/the Queen Charlottes I don't think anyone hunted bear, and I know no one did when I lived on Vancouver Island--seems to be an Alaska thing as we always heard about tourists flying in to hunt bear in Alaska.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I'd like to try elk.

I've heard that you can use gun powder to season meat when you don't have salt - do you think that's true?

if it is ... better not break fart.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
would love to try moose.... bear? I dunno. I know I LOVE elk :) do moose and elk taste similar?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
I'd like to try elk.

I've heard that you can use gun powder to season meat when you don't have salt - do you think that's true?

DONT BURP!!!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
I'd like to try elk.

I don't think I'd try it.......

"Gunpowder, also known since the late 19th century as black powder, is a mixture of sulfur, charcoal, and potassium nitrate (saltpeter). "

"In American English, the term gunpowder also refers broadly to any gun propellant.[3] Modern firearms do not use the traditional gunpowder (black powder) described in this article, but instead use smokeless powder."

"Smokeless powder is the name given to a number of propellants used in firearms and artillery which produce negligible smoke when fired, unlike the older gunpowder (black powder) which they replaced. The basis of the term smokeless is that the combustion products are mainly gaseous, compared to around 55% solid products (mostly potassium carbonate, potassium sulfate, and potassium sulfide) for black powder.[1] Despite its name, smokeless powder is not completely smoke-free"