Making Pickles?

jkm

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I also say buy the blue book, I have canned with my mom for years. and we dispute, we double check the book.
I write all over the book, since Ido change some of the vinegar quanties in the chutneys..
so write in your book!
we can can 7 pints in an hour and ahalf now that we have our notes.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I had to bring this thread back rather than start a new one.
Does anyone make a crock or barrel of fermented pickles and leave them in the crock all year, getting a pickle out when needed? Storing it in a cool place.
I want a real long fermented product, not refrigerator pickles. I also do not want to destroy the fermented good stuff in them by canning with heat.
I know about the big pickle barrels in New York City; Guss pickles.

So, is this actually possible for the backyard pickle maker? :drool

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh, me, too! Me, too! I have a couple of two gallon crocks and am hoping to find a fermented pickle recipe.

There are some in Nourishing Traditions, but they require cooler storage than I will have during cuke season. But they are fermented and will keep well at 40-45 degrees (F, not C, for all you Canadians and Aussies!)

There are also recipes for other fermented veggies, like sauerkraut, kimchi, salsa, etc. I plan to ferment a BUNCH of things this fall, when the temps in my cellar go back down.

A good root cellar would be the way to go, but mine currently gets warm in the summer.

Sigh....I need a second fridge. For cheese aging, too.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Oh, me, too! Me, too! I have a couple of two gallon crocks and am hoping to find a fermented pickle recipe.

There are some in Nourishing Traditions, but they require cooler storage than I will have during cuke season. But they are fermented and will keep well at 40-45 degrees (F, not C, for all you Canadians and Aussies!)

There are also recipes for other fermented veggies, like sauerkraut, kimchi, salsa, etc. I plan to ferment a BUNCH of things this fall, when the temps in my cellar go back down.

A good root cellar would be the way to go, but mine currently gets warm in the summer.

Sigh....I need a second fridge. For cheese aging, too.
The library just phoned to tell me that my requested "The Nourishing Traditions" book just arrived. I will read what they have to say later today. I don't think I can do the 45 degrees, either. I was thinking of placing them in a springhouse to keep cool; low tech.
What about the old timers playing checkers on the pickle barrel in Hooterville? There had to be some truth to that, lol! :p

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Look for "The Joy of Pickling" by Linda Ziedrich. I got it out of the library, and then had to buy it :D. She has a whole chapter on fermented pickles, as well as lots of of other *pickle-stuff*.
My *cool spot* isn't cool enough for pickles in the summer; just last week I removed the last of the sauerkraut from the crock, and put it into a glass jar, and then in the 'fridge. No heat to kill the fermentation good guys, but cool enough until we eat it. I would think that you could do the same with fermented pickles. If I had a cooler spot, like a cellar, I would experiment with leaving them in the crock.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Look for "The Joy of Pickling" by Linda Ziedrich. I got it out of the library, and then had to buy it :D. She has a whole chapter on fermented pickles, as well as lots of of other *pickle-stuff*.
My *cool spot* isn't cool enough for pickles in the summer; just last week I removed the last of the sauerkraut from the crock, and put it into a glass jar, and then in the 'fridge. No heat to kill the fermentation good guys, but cool enough until we eat it. I would think that you could do the same with fermented pickles. If I had a cooler spot, like a cellar, I would experiment with leaving them in the crock.
Thanks, I'll head back to the library tonight to see if I can locate that!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
:frow

I am so excited about learning to ferment my own pickels!! I have a nice crock of sauerkraut fermenting (farting as my daughter calls it..the stench :sick P.U.!!) down in the semi basement.

It is almost done and I can't wait! I love pickels more than sauerkraut, so if I can ferment them, ALL the better!!

What is the temp required to ferment pickels? Any tips?

My semi basement stays about 65 degrees in the summer.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I have a fermented pickel recipe now!! I found it and other fermentation recipes in my old 12 Month's Harvest book.

Japanese Pickles

2 cucumbers
4 carrots
1 daikon ( Japanese radis)
4 small white turnips
4 Japanese eggplants
Salt

1. Peel and slice the cucumbers, carrots, daikon and white turnips. Slice unpeeled Japanese eggplants.

2. Arrange sliced vegetables in a crok or jar, sprinkling a little salt between the layers.

3. Cover with a gallon sized freezer ziplock baggie filled with h2o.
Ferment for 4 days, then check. It should be done.

Now, I'm sure we can come up with other versions here!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
:frow

I am so excited about learning to ferment my own pickels!! I have a nice crock of sauerkraut fermenting (farting as my daughter calls it..the stench :sick P.U.!!) down in the semi basement.

It is almost done and I can't wait! I love pickels more than sauerkraut, so if I can ferment them, ALL the better!!

What is the temp required to ferment pickels? Any tips?

My semi basement stays about 65 degrees in the summer.
You can leave them at that temp or a bit warmer for 3 days or so, but then they will spoil. I think they should be 45 or lower for longer storage. That is why they are often made in the fall for winter veggies traditionally. Now we have what is known as the "second fridge!"