Making Pizza

Florezian

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
How do I do it?

I feel like there is aready a thread on this, but I havn't been able to find it with the search.

I've made bread before, but I'm not entirely sure how a good kneaded dough should feel. (Bread came out a bit dense...if that helps at all)

Any recipes? I just bought some flour yesterday, the King Author unbleached all purpose. Will that work?

Someone mentioned individual pizzas, which sounds like a brilliant idea.

I want to make a test one first.. to make sure I don't entirely mess it up when I make it for someone else. (Which would be 4 adults and a 2 year old)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Pizza is actually very easy to make :)

I used to work in a pizza restaurant and have literally made thousands of pizzas. All purpose flour is just fine, I personally use 50/50 whole wheat/bread flour or 100% whole wheat, but that's just a family preference for whole grains.

If you don't already have a good dough recipe, this one is pretty foolproof (I've given it out lots to friends and always hear back that it worked well). This recipe makes 2 medium pizzas if you like thin crust, or one large pizza if you like a more bread-like crust. Once it has risen, punch it down and cut it in half, knead it a bit, and then shape the ball into a flat pizza-shaped crust on a pan brushed with olive oil and sprinked with cornmeal.

If you'd like to get adventurous, this Bean Bread Focaccia makes a nice pizza as well :)

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I used to make home-made pizza dough every week (for years) using whole-wheat flour...seems like I just got it out of an "all purpose" Betty Crocker cookbook. ;)

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My recipe is almost identical to moolie's. The crust is always fabulous.

I also like to make pizza pockets to snack on. You can use the pizza crust or regular bread crust. Just roll out the dough after it has risen, cut it into the desired shape (circle, rectangle or whatever), put your fillings on one side (leaving room for the edges), wet the edges, fold it over - make sure you have a good seal or you'll have your fillings on the pan and not in the pocket (I like to trim the edges just 'cause it looks nicer), brush with egg wash if desired and bake.

They freeze well and you just nuke 'em to eat.

The fillings don't have to be pizza stuff. Ham and cheese, turkey and cheese...that sort of thing.

Florezian

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Awesome, I want to make the pockets now...

Can I make the pizza crust and freeze or refridge it?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Baked crust freezes just fine, just underbake it a tad (keep it pale but not doughy) and wrap it well.

My kids love home-made pizza pockets, we haven't made them for a while--thanks for reminding me!

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Or, instead of pizza, make stromboli- basically - take the round full size pizza dough fill one half with stuffing (whatever you like- pepperoni, olives, spinach, cheeses- one greek pizza place makes a wonderful shrimp pizza! Then fold the dough in half over the stuffing like a huge pocket, seal the edges and bake.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I make calzones using pizza crust, too. Just mix ricotta cheese, mozzerella cheese, parmesan, Italian seasoning, etc (onion, ham, pepperoni, whatever), put a spoonful on one side, fold the crust over & bake. Just as good as a restaurant (IMHO). :D

ETA: edited for clarity.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
I make calzones using pizza crust, too. Just mix ricotta cheese, mozzerella cheese, parmesan, Italian seasoning, etc (onion, ham, pepperoni, whatever), fold over & bake. Just as good as a restaurant (IMHO). :D
:drool Delivery order to NE Ohio, please. :drool