Making sugar... is it possible?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we planted over 3 acres of sugar cane for many years. fed used stalks to livestock. we have a lassy mill. what a blast making molasses. harvest, had a 'squisher' with a tractor motor to squeeze the cane. big fire box. stir, stir, stir, stir and more stirring til everyone's arms fell off. :)
had a big BBQ that day cause once started, you finish. no one walks away make molasses. scrounging for a zillion quart jars to use to make cases and cases and cases of it. Hubby used it for his deer hunting also. deers loved it.

sold a bunch at the market for a while. talk about a hard days work. OH YEA!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
we planted over 3 acres of sugar cane for many years. fed used stalks to livestock. we have a lassy mill. what a blast making molasses. harvest, had a 'squisher' with a tractor motor to squeeze the cane. big fire box. stir, stir, stir, stir and more stirring til everyone's arms fell off. :)
had a big BBQ that day cause once started, you finish. no one walks away make molasses. scrounging for a zillion quart jars to use to make cases and cases and cases of it. Hubby used it for his deer hunting also. deers loved it.

Oh no kidding, WOW! :ep

No wonder you were sick of farming! You guys sure did a lot.

We had sorghum in one of the fields next to our property. I sure was eyeing it, wondering how hard it would be to make molasses.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:

Sounds like hard work. ;) but also a lot like making maple syrup. That is one job that requires no squishing and squeezing but you have to watch it like a hawk to make sure that the sap never runs dry/burns. but that first batch out of the evaporater! Can't be beat. Watching all the mice that run out of the evaporater bottom when you start loading it with wood to fire it up is also quite the show!
and for the OP =I am hypoglycemic and am not supposed to eat sugar like it is going out of style. I use real sugar but cut back or make sure that I have my sugary treats with dinner to help temper that sugar rush and then the lows. Mine is bad enuf that I am supposed to carry glucose tabs with me for emergency. Beef jerky and peanutbutter crackers are great boosts too.
Also eating a good protein before bed helps with that nasty low blood sugar mornings too. I try to eat a nice chunk of cheese or peanutbutter before bed(like right before I brush my teeth) if I don't it is a queazy start to the day till I get food in me.
But if you are worrying about sugar in that quantity you should really talk to your dr. and get a nutritionist to help you understand what your body needs now.

Candy

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score

Latest posts