making use of the world's oldest free lighting source............

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I wonder if many people get up at dawn to start their chores or go to bed early to avoid using man made light and heat?
I'm lucky enough to be able to get up with the sun- not hours before it rises like when I had to be at work at 7 am.
I also turn off the heat at about 8 pm and go to bed when it gets cold enough to bother me. Sort of a natural rhythm thing.

I got into this habit because my animals follow this pattern and if left too long after sunrise, start distructive behavior because they're hungry.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
WELLLLLL my school bus gets to my bus stop at the end of the road at 7:20AM (sometimes 7:25AM depending on the weather), so I'm up at 6:30, I let the chickens out, put Nacho (our chicken guarding wimpy miniature labradoodle stud dog) out, check chickens water and food, then go to my stop. Mum does all the rest of the chores until I get home from school at about 3:05PM and do my other work for the night, we're in by 6:00PM right now due to the sunset.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
in older days that would be a normal routine. up with the sun, rest during the hottest part of the day, etc. etc., shut down when the sun goes down.

with electricity the world moves 24 / 7 now and that is one of the reasons we are energy hogs to the max.

not many people do the natural cycle anymore.

that is probably alot of people's problems, like stress, tired, anxiety, other things, we are out of whack with nature...pure and simple.

very interesting. I know being in balance with nature is important but we as a whole are totally off kilter with nature.

I am up with the sun (before sometimes) and don't go to bed til way into the night. I am off! :) LOL-LOL --you gave me something to think about definitely! :)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I agree with FC that part of our societies problems are linked with the fact that we are all so incredibly out of sync with natures rythems.

We are on some fast track that has most of us disconnected from raising our own meat, growing our own veggies, canning, knitting, sewing, winter preps, frugal living and the power of the sun. We are living the high life off of the backs of the dinosaurs and it ain't gonna last long! I think that we (Americans in general) are in for a real rude awakening here in the next few years.

I would just love to take a step back in time...to live simply, frugally and more self sufficiently, distancing myself from electricity and gas. Realistically...I am taking very small baby steps, not doing nearly as much as I would like to, partly because we are about to move out of our home and into a rental and I will have really limited options then. No chickens, no ducks, no big garden...kind of takes the wind out of my sails. Once we find a place I am sure I will feel better and become more proactive again....in whatever small ways I am able.
Sorry this turned into my own personal rant!

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
We do not totally run by the sun but at night after dinner I shut off all the lights and we use the oil lamps and candles.
I light the fireplaces and curl up near the one in my bedroom with a good book.
The kids should be in bed not long after anyway so it doesn't seem to bother them.
They come in my room and read books together before bed.
If a light has to be on out of necessity for something then I don't have a problem with it but its usually for something like my son doing homework after he comes home from work.
But I noticed that we have been having dinner alot earlier lately now that its getting dark earlier and then settling in for the night.
We do go to bed earlier now as well.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ETR, I am one of those people who have to go to work out side the home. So it is up at 5.45am for me. But I am in bed at 10pm. Not too much different than the rise and set.....i dont think.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I pretty much run by the sun, and we turn off most of the lights at night. Unfortunately for us, my dad is completely paranoid about lighting candles, and though I'd love to light them, and we do have the little trays that catch the wax, but my dad would completely spazz out of his mind.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
lupinfarm- can't say as I blame your Dad. Every year there are stories about people burning their houses down with forgotten candles or by placing them too close to drapes.

eggzettra

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I am not and never will be a morning person but I do climatize myself to the seasons no AC in the summer (OK I do on occasion use it in the car but really do try not to) its 52 degrees @ my house right now but by the time I get home from work it will be up to a toasty 62 (programmable thermostat) ....

Keeping it that low has the added benefit of helping drive off uninvited guests....

I do use candles to keep the heat in the living room warm while I snuggle under blankets watching TV. I am very careful with the candles though I did burn down some drapes in a hotel room when I was a teenager (dad took us to Disneyland without mom & he invited out the lady in the next room & so I had to babysit for her, was in my nightie in a strange town so I shut the curtains for privacy not seeing the candle @ all).