Making Walking Canes?

shadowrider

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hickory,dogwood,and hawthorne make fine canes and sticks.
Try bending a crook or handle on a still living sapling if you can. Tie it over to a heavy rock or a stake.
The roots of some are more naturally shaped for handles. Dogwood often is.
shadowrider

Ohioann

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sylvie said:
So many great ideas, links and suggestions!

He did buy a Sumac cane at our local Medieval Faire. It looks like they used the root for the handle. It looks beautiful but we have Sumac on our property and it isn't the strongest wood. He really leans on it and he's a big boy.

The cane he favors is aluminum with a molded plastic grip that completely fits his hand. It's like if he grabbed a piece of clay so it formed an impression of his hand. The comfort is unbelievable!
I'm a wood carver and can probably duplicate that but he wants it in a sturdy wood. I don't want it so hard that I can't carve it in less than a month, lol.

We want to buy some hardwood boards at a nearby Amish sawmill and cut canes out from those, too. Looking for guidance on this; with grain or off grain because of one piece cut with handle included in that cut?
If you have Amish living near you ask around for a buggy maker, the people who make the buggy shafts in this area use a steaming box to get the bends in the shafts and also make canes by steaming the wood so that they can bend the handle. Ask your Amish lumber yard about cane makers in your area.