Making yogurt

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It seems that every few months there is a new rash of questions about the making of yogurt. It also seems as if we all have slightly different methods. I'd like to get all our different ways together in one easily accessable thread. Anyone willing to play along? Feel free to add points that you feel I have neglected.

#1 - What kind of milk do you use? - I use organic whole milk, homoginized and pastuerized, because that is the best I can do where I am. However I have successfully used regular supermarket milk, at all fat levels, including skim, in the past

#2 - Do you heat it, and if so, how high? - I heat the milk to about 190*; I've read that 180* or 185* is adequate, but I seem to have better results when I get it a bit higher. Lacking a thermometer I would heat till I see small bubbles forming around the edge (which is probably a little higher than 190*

#3 - When do you add your starter culture? - I add it after the temp. has fallen to between 115* and 125*

#4 - What do you use for a starter? - I use a commercial yogurt that I like the taste of; it must be plain yogurt, free of additives, and marked as having live cultures. For many years I have used Trader Joe's yogurt.

#5 - How do you maintain/renew your starter? - I buy a quart of TJ's plain whole milk yogurt, and put a couple of spoonfuls in the compartments of an icecube tray. Once frozen I bag them up, and use one or two per batch when making yogurt. I put them in a small bowl before I put the milk on to heat, and by the time the milk is cool enough the little yogurt cubes are defrosted, or very nearly so. I stir this starter into the warm milk, and incubate. When I get to the last of my frozen cubes I just make a double batch of yogurt, and freeze some more cubes. I have read that after about four generations the yogurt has probably been compromised to the point that it won't work as well, so after the 4th freezing I buy another quart of the commercial yogurt. BTW, I don't usually use the whole quart for starter cubes, as I don't make that much yogurt. I only make enough for about 6 months worth, as it tends to lose power after time in the freezer IME - but still, that is 2 years of homemade from 1 quart bought ;)

#6 - How do you incubate your yogurt? - While the milk is heating I heat water to fill a quart jar. I have a small-ish picnic cooler, just large enough for 3-4 quart jars, into which I put the jar with hot water (when I think of it I also fill the jar(s) that I plan to make the yogurt in with hot water, and place them in the cooler as well, both to heat the jars and to preheat the cooler, but sometimes I forget, and everything works just as well :lol:). I put the cooled and innoculated milk into the jar(s), and then the cooler, and set the timer for 4 hours. Usually it is done by then; if it is not yet ready I reheat the water in the jar (microwave), put it back in the cooler, and close it back up. Then I check every hour or so. It very rarely takes more than 6 hours. Then it goes in the 'fridge.

#7 - How do you make it thicker? - I take a square of washed, dampened unbleached muslin, drape it over the open top of one of the clean quart yogurt containers, and attach it with a rubber band around it. The muslin hangs into the container. Then I stir the yogurt, and pour in as much as will fit. I put the lid back on - balancing it, it usually won't snap closed - and refrigerate for several hours, or overnight. If, by chance, it gets thicker than I want then I just mix some of the whey back in. The whey goes into a glass jar, with lid, in the 'fridge.

Pros and cons of your method? - Pros - It is relatively quick; there is little hands on work involved; I can do a quart or two at a time (or more, if I wished), and not mess with the little containers of an electric maker; the electric maker I used to have had a hot spot, so one little jar never set up, it doesn't happen using the cooler; the only electricity used is to heat the milk, and the warming water - Cons - I can't think of any; after fussing with the electric yogurt maker for a couple of years I find this way so much easier. If I need to leave the house for something I know that the worst that can happen is that everything will slowly cool down, nothing more.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
#1 - What kind of milk do you use? - I don;t use milk. I use heavy cream.

#2 - Do you heat it, and if so, how high? - 180

#3 - When do you add your starter culture? - I add it after it cools to 110

#4 - What do you use for a starter? - Greek yogurt. Fage or Greek Gods brand

#5 - How do you maintain/renew your starter? - I don't. I just freeze yogurt cubes.

#6 - How do you incubate your yogurt? - Picnic cooler with an old slow cooker base used as a heat source (on low). It maintains 110.

#7 - How do you make it thicker? - Usually it is plenty thick, but I will drain it to make it thicker if I need to in a colander lined with paper towels.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
It seems that every few months there is a new rash of questions about the making of yogurt. It also seems as if we all have slightly different methods. I'd like to get all our different ways together in one easily accessable thread. Anyone willing to play along? Feel free to add points that you feel I have neglected.
#1 - What kind of milk do you use?
Whole milk usually, storebought at Trader Joes, because that's waht I've got in the house for DS.

#2 - Do you heat it, and if so, how high?
Yep. To 185F, stirring constantly to avoid scorching.

#3 - When do you add your starter culture?
After I cool it to lukewarm, around 115F.

#4 - What do you use for a starter?
Either some yogurt I've got in the house, or a yogurt starter I bought at Whole Foods, depending on what I've got.

#5 - How do you maintain/renew your starter?
I buy more. (Haven't really gotten into the maintain/renew part yet.) I do keep a box of the yogurt starter in my fridge.

#6 - How do you incubate your yogurt?
I have a yogurt maker now. Used to just do it in my oven when I had one with a pilot light.

#7 - How do you make it thicker?
Set it in an unbleached coffee filter to drain overnight. But mostly, I don't worry about that - it's fine as is.

Pros and cons of your method?
Pros: I treat the milk the same way as for making bread, so it's easy for me to remember. The yogurt starter is easy to just keep in the fridge for whenever I want to make some. Cons: Need some way to keep it warm, and need some kind of starter.

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I buy 2% milk and heat it up to a boil.
I let it cool and add some plain yogurt.
When I can keep a finger in the milk for about 6 or so seconds.
Mix in the yogurt then put the pot on a towel in the laundry room by the heater vent.
I pile coats,towels,or blanket on the pot.
I let it sit for about 24 hours.
Sometimes I drain the whey,and sometimes I just wisk up everything and put the pot in the fridge.
My yogurt is thin and is for drinking like kefir.

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ok I've only made yogurt one time... (yesterday) but it was surprisingly easy and turned out perfect the first time... Here is how I made it...

milk used: whole milk from aldi's (they supposedly don't use hormones or antibiotics) it is pasturized

heated in crockpot to 150 (recipe said to heat to 180 but I was impatient) I may just heat it to 120 next time and see if that works... I think it will as long as the milk is fresh...

once the temp cooled to 120 I put a big spoonful of plain lowfat yogurt and mixed it in... (it was still cold out of the fridge) so the temp then dropped to 115

I took the crock with milk in it and wrapped it in a doubled up fleece blanket.... and left it sit for 4 hours... unwrapped it and tah dah!!! yogurt! I put it in the fridge overnight and it was even thicker this morning...

We made fruit smoothies with it this morning and it was delish!

I did take the starter and froze some cubes of it for later use and want to try and strain some for yogurt cheese soon!

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
#1 - What kind of milk do you use? - store bought organic whole milk

#2 - Do you heat it, and if so, how high? - 185

#3 - When do you add your starter culture? - I add it after it cools to 110

#4 - What do you use for a starter? - Greek yogurt.

#5 - How do you maintain/renew your starter? - I don't, but I should. I like the idea of freezing cubes!

#6 - How do you incubate your yogurt? - yogurt maker. I used to use a cooler, but it was a PIA. The yogurt maker is affordable and so much easier.

#7 - How do you make it thicker? - The Greek yogurt turns out a thick yogurt. I don't drain it or anything.

I do add a little organic cane sugar, maple syrup and vanilla extract t the same time I add the starter. It comes out yummy this way!

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
#1 - What kind of milk do you use? Organic whole milk, not ultra pasturized

#2 - Do you heat it, and if so, how high? 180 for 30 minutes

#3 - When do you add your starter culture? After the milk cools to 110

#4 - What do you use for a starter? Yogurt from my last batch or any plain, live, store bought yogurt.

#5 - How do you maintain/renew your starter? I set some aside in a little jar to do a new batch. If I wait too long for that to still be good, I buy some more.

#6 - How do you incubate your yogurt? In mason jars in a cooler. Instructions here.

#7 - How do you make it thicker? Heating the milk for 30 minutes makes it thicker most of the time. With some starters it won't. I have also strained yogurt in the past, but most of the time I won't bother -- I'll just drink it rather than using a spoon.

Pros and cons: I like the stove top-to-mason jar method because it's easy and easy to clean up. Cons - it can take a long time for the milk to cool.

I have also made crock pot yogurt with good success, although it does not turn out as thick.

Thanks for collecting the info in one place, ORChick!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Fun thread :)

I make my yogurt in recycled Natur brand natural peanut butter jars. In fact, I organize my baking cupboard in these great jars (along with glass milk and cream bottles) as well.

pbjar.jpg

yogurt1.jpg

pantry1.jpg

#1 - What kind of milk do you use? - Whole, organic, pasteurized.

#2 - Do you heat it, and if so, how high? - A little warmer than my hand (I stick my finger in).

#3 - When do you add your starter culture? - I put the cubes or fresh yogurt into the jar before I start the yogurt-making process so the frozen cubes have time to melt, then I pour a little warm milk into the jars and swirl to mix, adding the rest of the milk slowly and swirling.

#4 - What do you use for a starter? - I have used plain organic and organic Greek.

#5 - How do you maintain/renew your starter?
- I don't. Like WZ I freeze the leftover yogurt in an ice cube tray and use the cubes each time.

yogurt4.jpg

(this ice cube tray also has some tomato paste portioned for cooking)

#6 - How do you incubate your yogurt? - Hot tap water around the jars in a small six-pack cooler for about 4 hours. Usually stays hot enough if I prime the cooler with hot water as I'm warming the milk, then dump that out and put in new hot water.

yogurt3.jpg

#7 - How do you make it thicker? - Never have, except to make tzatziki--when I do that I just strain it through muslin in a colander. We eat it the way it turns out, my kids like it mixed with either some fruit jam or a bit of vanilla extract and maple syrup.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
#1 - What kind of milk do you use? - When my girl is in milk, I use raw goat's milk. Otherwise, I use a local brand of vat pasturized, non rBGH, sometimes pastured cow's milk.

#2 - Do you heat it, and if so, how high? - Yes, to the cooling point below if using raw goats milk. To steaming if using storebought.

#3 - When do you add your starter culture? - When its cool enough to hold my pinky in for a slow 10 count.

#4 - What do you use for a starter? - Oikos Greek yogurt, all I can find locally.

#5 - How do you maintain/renew your starter? - I pasturize about a cup of milk, let it cool, incubate it with my other yogurt and store in the freezer.

#6 - How do you incubate your yogurt? - In the summer, I use my crockpot liner, pre-warmed with hot water, with blankets on top. In winter, I use my dehydrator and a gallon jar or add more blankets to the crockpot.

#7 - How do you make it thicker? I drain it overnight, in the fridge with a colandar lined with a bar mopper towel or t-shirt material.

You didn't ask, but I store it in the fridge in individual containers or when I'm lazy, in the gallon glass jar.