Making your money choices and family

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ha ha it wasn't your post. I just hate to rant so I vent and then delete! It's not what I received it's the lack of thought on their part. They are a whole other post :duc

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
(She is an easy pleaser I know, but I would like to take some credit for that. I never over indulged her with gifts. I would much rather make our experiences together memorable.)
Oh, that is huge! We don't buy our kids much, either, although I still feel like they have way more than enough. The neat part is how much of a kick they get out of everything! I've given gifts to children who have so, so much and it feels like the gift is not a big deal to them at all. I think that's a disservice to children, and it's surely not their fault when they are being spoiled.

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
There are five adult kids in my family. Four of us are married. So it could get hectic with if we gave gifts to everyone. We just do a family gift exchange and we rotate families. Everyone knows who gets who, well actually, my sister is suppossed to keep track of that for us since she's the oldest. But it works out to us giving a family gift to one family every year. If we want to do more we can as our circumstances allow. It's always been more about finding the perfect thing than spending a bunch of money for us. Invariably we have to pay more for the shipping anyway! As for my husbands family, we don't even exchange cards! And our parents all get the same thing every year: Alaskan smoked wild salmon. Works for us, works for them. I love consumables.

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My side of the family long ago discovered we all love consignment shops and the like so no one is allowed to give anything new! It has to be regifted, repurposed or second hand! :bow

It makes the whole thing lots more fun and way cheaper on everybody.

DHs family acted like I told them to exchange trash when I suggested it.

Latest posts