Making Your Own Cat Food?

LauraJean

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I was on another thread asking for advice on reducing my trash, and someone suggested making my own cat food to eliminate all the cat food cans. I looked for a thread on this, but didn't see one.

Does anyone make their own cat food, and if so what do you use? How do you prepare it? I would love suggestions.

Being a squeamish vegetarian, I'm not real keen on the concept of going to a butcher and cutting up chunks of meat, I have to be honest, but I would like to hear how folks are making their own to see if this is something I could do.

Thanks!

LauraJean

Power Conserver
Reaction score
freemotion said:
You asked for it....this is not for the squeamish, though..... :p

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1936
Um yeah, I stopped at "6 whole chickens". There is no way I could stomach that, I am way to squeamish. I can deal with a lot of gross things, but not chopping up animals parts.

NOT knocking it; kudos to those who can, but not for me! Thank you, though.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
hey Free! your inbox is full...... but i'm guessing you know what i'm gonna say
;-)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
hey Free! your inbox is full...... but i'm guessing you know what i'm gonna say
;-)
Blame H23 for filling it up :lol: You're gonna say let those cats catch their own food! It's free! :gig Poor kitties....

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
yep!

for the record.. 'get out there and free range b/c its FREE'!
;-)

i was sweating it today b/c i left Miss Duck and her ducklings out all day.. golly.. we have to keep an eye on Shine, King of Barncats.. he was licking his chops over them! yikes!

we keep trying to get him to take down one of those guineas but he wont!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Box Shine up and send him my way...we have rats-a-plenty here, and several with his name on them....shiny coats and all...

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
LauraJean said:
freemotion said:

Um yeah, I stopped at "6 whole chickens". There is no way I could stomach that, I am way to squeamish. I can deal with a lot of gross things, but not chopping up animals parts.

LJ - did you get my post about how you can feed raw without having to cut up any meat?

LauraJean

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
yep!

for the record.. 'get out there and free range b/c its FREE'!
;-)

i was sweating it today b/c i left Miss Duck and her ducklings out all day.. golly.. we have to keep an eye on Shine, King of Barncats.. he was licking his chops over them! yikes!

we keep trying to get him to take down one of those guineas but he wont!
I wish I could let my cats go out, but they can't. I used to let them go out a few years back in another town where I lived, but one of them would literally break a bone just about every time he went out to play! He would leap up into a tree, freak himself out and DIVE out of the tree. He's broken legs, even his tail. So he got permanently retired to being an indoor kitty.

He's no good at mousing anyway. Here at the new house, I woke up one morning and walked into the kitchen. There was a mouse, hanging out, munching on a crumb and my cat was lying there watching him from a foot away, all relaxed like he was napping in the sun.

Here in this neighborhood there are 2 huskies up the road that constantly get loose and have killed most of the cats, chickens, and geese of all the neighbors. Plus I am in the deep woods, heavy with predators and if kitty can't even climb a tree and be-friends mice, I shutter to think what he might do with a wild animal.

Well, back to the drawing board I guess. I would have liked to eliminate all those cat food cans, but not bad enough to cut up chickens. I'm trying to bond with the chicks I have in a brooder, imagine if they saw me hacking up a cousin!! lol.

LauraJean

Power Conserver
Reaction score
tortoise said:
LauraJean said:
freemotion said:

LJ - did you get my post about how you can feed raw without having to cut up any meat?
No? Where?