Making your own clothes... Is it hard??

greenrootsmama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I use old things that have outlived their usefulness to make new things. My boys are growing like weeds and I can barely keep them clothed! But I found a storage box of jeans in the attic at our last house that a previous resident had left there. They didn't fit anyone in our family so I kept them to 'recycle' into pants and shorts for the boys. I've made clothes from bed sheets, curtains, and table cloths. In fact, yesterday I just finished up 7 diapers that I made from an old flannel bed sheet and an old towel.

On the other hand, my sweetie's cousin is pregnant and due in May. I want to make her a blanket for the baby. I went to a fabric store and bought a total of 5 yards of fabric, two spools of thread and a bag of batting. I spent $30! I could buy a new store-bought blanket for less than that! So if you're going to make your own clothes I would suggest acquiring fabric from cheaper sources like second hand stores or freecycle. You might also hit up relatives and friends for their old fabrics.

I don't use patterns - I make hippy clothes because they're attractive and super easy to make them to fit - especially those whose proportions aren't in the norm.

Katie

fancie217

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I'm mainley looking for a new hobby. used to do taxidermy, but am know looking for a cleaner hobby. Always loved crafts. Was thinking of designing my own curtins and I went to hancock fabrics and saw alot of neat things, didn't realize that you could make you own clothes, but they had tons of diffrant fabric to make swimsuits and wedding dresses etc.

Would love to decorate my house and self with things I made myself....

Thanks