Making your own shampoo??

dillpickle

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My DW Is struggling to find the right shampoo and is goign through one bottle after another. Her hair is a little damaged from perming and she needs something that leaves her hair moist (not frizzy)

BUT conditioner makes her hair fall out.

I want to make her something homemade that will not only give her what she needs but at a significant price difference then all the stuff shes been trying lately.

Any Ideas?

Thanks a bunch!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You could try just wetting the hair with coconut oil, allowing to soak for half of an hour, then shampoo with regular shampoo, NO conditioner. It works like conditioner for my hair, but doesn't leave anything left after washing. My hair is crazy. If it gets wet, without the coconut oil treatment or conditioner, I CAN NOT comb or brush through it until it is completely dry (takes about 3-5 hours to dry enough to brush it on a normal day, and up to two days if I put it up while wet and leave it up), but with coconut oil pre-treatment or conditioner after shampooing, it can be brushed straight out of the shower or anytime. So, definately give the coconut oil a shot...

dillpickle

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Shes at walmart right now getting some. Thanks!!!!

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
She could also try dissolving baking soda in water and working that into her scalp. Then rinse out. For contitioner pour on vinegar diluted with water. Let it stay on a couple of minutes and rinse out. I have been doing this for months and it works great. On rare occasions I use a home made shampoo bar that is also nice.

vclark321

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I use a cucumber and lemon. I put the peeled cucumber and peeled lemon in the blender and pureed it. I pour some on my head in the shower and use like regular shampoo and rinse good. I don't need conditioner and I color my hair. She may need to fully blow dry her hair because sometime the pulp from the lemon can stay in the hair, but it does come out. Also at Super Supplement they have natural hair color that does not use harsh chemicals. I use it and I have noticed it is not as harsh on my hair as the others and it is priced reasonably. Good luck to you and your bride! ;)

Nonesuch Farm

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Try water only washing. I'm still restricted from posting links so google it. I've been doing it for years and have hair down to my thighs... and I don't use any products. No poo, no conditioner, no gels, mouse... and my hair is wonderfully healthy. And I did not have great hair to start with.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Nonesuch Farm said:
Try water only washing. I'm still restricted from posting links so google it. I've been doing it for years and have hair down to my thighs... and I don't use any products. No poo, no conditioner, no gels, mouse... and my hair is wonderfully healthy. And I did not have great hair to start with.
How often do you "wash" your hair?

I have waist length hair. I've used the baking soda and ACV, and liked the results. But I'm not sure that only water would do it for me. Still, might be worth a try :p

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There was a guy in school who did that. It was actually rather funny because he was very popular, and I must admit, very good looking, lol. He mentioned one day that he hadn't washed his hair in over six months (someone asked why it was always so soft), just wet it, scrubbed it like he had shampoo in it, then rinsed. It makes perfect sense to me, however, my hair disagrees. Tangles and knots up very easily.