Making your own trees................

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
:lol: :lol: Yeah -scares the fruit out of them. But it didn't hurt the tree that I stripped. It repaired itself and just kept producing. As long as it isn't girdled.

I wonder if start of fruiting on a tree is triggered by how much nutients it is gathering- that it just keeps growing til it starts runnng out of easily available food and water. The one that I treated that way was twice as big and leafy as the others I planted at the same time. It was a more aggressive grower. Then when it can't put all it's energy into outgrowing its neighbors because of reduced nutrients, it switches to mature reproduction. Juat a guess...............

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Interesting thought.....They are on a slope and get lots of water, and of course, I want fruit so badly that I feed them spikes and Miracle Grow! When they really just need a good spanking!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've read that it applies to all kind of plants.....like veggies and vines. Shock them if they are not producing!

It worked for my green peppers this year.....I guess the dogs weren't such BAD DOGS after all because they broke off, dug out and basically bedded down in my pepper patch and the survivors gave me a bumper crop! I had 2 bushels of peppers off of the 8 remaining plants.....HUGE peppers!

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
Good thread!
I have two pears that do not overlap in flowering time, so they can not cross pollinate. A few years ago I got the idea to take three twigs from each and graft them to the other hoping they would be influenced by the rising sap in the adopted mother tree and flower with her own flowers. All six grafts went perfectly. Now the six on both trees flower at the same time as the biological mother, not the adopted mother! So my experiment didn't work except to affirm I can graft.

We had a really bad late summer hailstorm a few years ago. It completely defoliated all the trees, ALL the trees. The fruit trees all flowered again! None of the fruit made it because it was so late in the year. I have been thinking of manually defoliating my peach trees after the blossoms die in the late cold spells that we get 9 times out of 10. I would sure love to have peaches.