Mame's new 5 acre project - Waiting for May

Mame

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thought I'd give a small update on this. It's looking like we have a very good chance of getting the house and land now. Right now, chances are (and fingers crossed!) it'll be ours starting on the 1st of May. Unfortunately, that means I'll have less of the spring to fix up the land (which is covered in piles of dirt, for some reason) and plan where I'll be growing things. Between moving and trying to make the new house itself more livable, I might not have as much time as I'd like to work on those projects for a while anyway.

So, right now, I'm still just making plans...I'm going to try to get my hands on a map of the property lines or something like that so that I can figure out where I'll be planting my veggies, the best place for some solar panels, etc. Anything to keep me from going crazy from the wait. :)

Mame

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Also, forgot to say: Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and holiday season! :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
That sounds good! Let us know.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Last year in May, I was in the same spot you are. Patience is something apparently I need work on! Even now things are happening too slowly for my likes! Just keep oing whatever is right in front of you and eventually you will get there.

Mame

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Snapshot, I just read a bit of your journal and it does sound like you were in a similar place. I can definitely relate...I have very little patience and hate it when I'm not in control of everything. I do wish I could be a year or two in the future as far as this project is concerned...but then, I guess getting started will be a good experience too. I just wish I didn't have to sit around for 4 months!

Mame

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
No new word on whether or not we're really getting the house yet, but we're still working on it, and our chances still look very good. I've been looking around for an official map of the property of some sort, but I haven't been able to get one yet. Thanks to Google Maps, I do have this overhead view of the property:
212u04i.jpg

The strange texture that's on the front and back of the property is the big piles of dirt and junk that I was talking about. :rolleyes: The line along the right side is a very unattractive 6 ft high weed-covered berm that they put along the horse trail, which starts at the lower right corner of the property. (We're thinking of smoothing it out and covering it in fruit bushes or small evergreen trees.) I also drew a red line along the curvy edge of the property. For a bit of scale, the little yellowish rectangle is the weed-filled fenced veggie garden. It's about 12-15 by 6-8 feet - I haven't measured it.

Now, to figure out where I'll put everything. :)

Mame

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
No news on the house...but then, no news is good news, right? :) The only major thing to report is that it's now officially under contract with us - in other words, the sellers have accepted our offer on it and they aren't taking any others. Now it's just up to the bank to figure themselves out (it's a short sale), and we also have to keep working on getting a loan. I guess you can tell that I'm the daughter of two real estate agents...:rolleyes:

I've been reading a lot about biointensive gardening lately. There's a great series of videos here. Here's the introduction video:
I like the idea of growing veggies in easy-to-maintain beds with good soil and only using hand tools. I also like the idea of growing so many more veggies than I could just by planting them in the ground. The only thing I don't like is the idea of growing 60% compost crops. It just seems like an unproductive use of all that space. I also don't really like the idea of transplanting each little sprout TWICE. I imagine it would be a huge amount of work if you had more than just a few beds. Has anyone tried this method?