Manual coffee grinder, worth the money?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Tallman said:
Correction!!!!!!!!! My grinder is a flour mill! I looked all over the Internet for a picture of an Arcade Mfg. No. 1, but all I ever came up with were coffee grinders by Arcade. I emailed an antique dealer and he sent me a picture that shows that mine is an Arcade flour mill. I tried to copy and paste the picture on here for you, but it didn't work. Anyway, I just wanted to make the correction and let you all know that I grind my wheat into flour with a genuine, cast iron, dyed in the wool, antique flour mill. :thumbsup
To copy and paste the photo here, first save as one of your jpg files and download to photobucket. I suppose you could just upload here - but I haven't ever done that.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Lol, Tallman. All along you were using in properly and had no idea!

I talked to my step-dad who drinks probably 5+ cups a day. He advised to save up and get a burr grinder, which makes the coffee grounds more consistent. But he uses a $400.00 grinder, so it's hard to take his advice! :D I'd almost call him a coffee connoisseur, he's so into coffee. That's pretty normal around here, though.

At this point I don't have enough money to buy ANY. But that's exactly why I started researching now. I can't just run out (or order online) when I feel like it. Maybe next week I won't want a grinder at all.

Oh, and if picked up a cheap electric, didn't care for it, and used it for herbs, I would NOT used it for coffee again.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Out on Key Peninsula there is a cute old fashioned grocery store that sells Laurys (sp?) and you can grind it for free all at once. Not the most ideal, I know, but it is the best coffee I have had around here so far! :)

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
keljonma said:
To copy and paste the photo here, first save as one of your jpg files and download to photobucket. I suppose you could just upload here - but I haven't ever done that.
Thanks kel, but I don't know a jpg file from Adam's House of Hornets! I could have my son or daughter show me all of these new fandango doodads, but I guess I just don't care that much. Maybe someday.;)

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have 2 Krups horizontal blade coffee grinders - I use one for coffee, and the other for herbs and spices. I have had them both for years - I would guess at least 20 - and they are still going strong. They cost then less than $15, and I don't think they are much more now. If you get one, and don't like it for coffee, you can certainly use it for spices, but don't use one for both, as the spices won't help the morning pot of coffee at all; keep them separate. As was already mentioned, a bit of bread will help clean it out, as will a spoonful of raw rice, but this is not enough to make one grinder useful for both jobs! If you are looking for a grinder just because you don't finish the container of coffee before it goes off, try keeping the already ground coffee in an airtight jar in the freezer.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I forgot to mention... I usually have my coffee ground when I buy it, either at the grocery store, or at Starbucks if I have the money. It goes in an airtight canister as soon as I get home. I don't keep it in the freezer, so I could try doing that, thanks for the tip.

At the rate I'm going I'll turn into my step dad for sure. He generally has three different roasts on hand at all times. He does traditional drip, french press, and espresso. His mocha is the best I've ever tasted, including any coffee shop. Well, I suppose I won't be him exactly. Couldn't afford an espresso machine! :lol:

"No coffee, no workee"

ETA: I'm considering this little guy.http://www.amazon.com/Proctor-Silex-E160B-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B00006IUX5/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top If I'm gonna go cheap, I might as well go REALLY cheap, lolz. Plus it has a surprising amount of good reviews for such a cheap thing.

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a manual coffee grinder--- I use it not only for coffee, but also to grind dried morel mushrooms to a powder. Good as a seasoning for soup, meatloaf etc.

Latest posts