Manual washing machine.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I do my towels once a week...I wash them dry them and hang them right on the rack in the bathroom. (some I fold to go to the bathroom upstairs)
No word of a lie, within an hour of my family getting up, there are no towels hanging and they are on the floor in the laundry room! Grrrrrr!
I am going to color code the next time I buy towels...and they are all going to get thier wet towels that they didn't hang backl up...or they threw in the laundry after one use...right on thier unmade beds until they get home from wherever it is they go all day!

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
But, I have my own bathroom separate from all of them (boys) so I never know what's going on in there til it's too late.

********I hear the theme music to JAWS.......that is scary!
I never go in there except when we are expecting company ('cause it is the hall bathroom) and it is always SO GROSS. Soap film floating in a pool of water around the sink, entire floor covered with dirty clothes, rugs scrunched up in a pile, toilet paper spilling out of the waste basket, disgusting toilet, toothpaste spatters all over the sink & mirror.... yuck.

I make 'em clean it up when company is coming, though. :)

Cassandra

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
I do my towels once a week...I wash them dry them and hang them right on the rack in the bathroom. (some I fold to go to the bathroom upstairs)
No word of a lie, within an hour of my family getting up, there are no towels hanging and they are on the floor in the laundry room! Grrrrrr!
I am going to color code the next time I buy towels...and they are all going to get thier wet towels that they didn't hang backl up...or they threw in the laundry after one use...right on thier unmade beds until they get home from wherever it is they go all day!
I think that's a good idea, but I never can afford to buy a bunch of towels at one time. I think I'd need at least nine or twelve (3 or 4 each for them.)

You know what else would be funny? If we just hid all the extra towels. Leave them ONE each.

<evil laughter>

Cassandra

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
You could be really mean and just sew nametags or colored tags onto peoples' towels, to allow y'all to proceed with your plans <eg>

Here, we have my towels, DHs towels, and the kids' towel. I launder the towels when I darn well feel like it, and if people leave their towels in a wet lump, or on the cat-litter-strewn floor, or put them in the laundry hamper, that is not MY problem, THEY are the ones that have to live iwth it the next time they take a shower. Oddly, towels around here nearly always get hung up neatly :>

Might not work for every family but it works for us :)

Pat

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
When I was a few years younger, ok seriously about 20 years ago - I had a tiny baby, a husband and no washing machine, I did just fine tossing loads into the bath tub and walking on it.... up and down up and down.

rinse and hang to dry! EASY - it works really well. (yes I even washed cloth diapers that way)

lengel

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I love the machine. Not so much the stand. It also leaks when I drain it. I'll put it in the bathtub the next time I drain it.

This thing is fantastic though. Truth in advertising - it took out dirt in a way I never could have for hand washing. It's not for large or even normal loads by any means. But it's amazing for "hand wash" type things or the kinds of things I wouldn't put into my electric washing machine because of flammable substances or color issues (anything bright pink in a first time wash, whatever).

This is how it works. You screw the lid down so that it creates a seal. As you turn the handle, the air bleeds out (you can hear it) and forces the water and detergent into the material. This takes one to two minutes. Then you push a drain pipe into a pressure release valve on the bottom and it drains the water out.

It DOES rinse using the same process without the detergent. It DOESN'T spin the water out though so you have to wring out the clothes and it takes longer to air dry.

I first used it on DH's foot braces (these are elastic supports with gel inserts - they look like complicated Ace bandages). Usually I wash these by hand. The first time through the one minute "cycle" (because it was a really small load) I wound up with black water. It was horribly disgusting but clearly did a much better job than when I wash them over and over again. I washed them a second time and the grime was barely noticeable. Rinsed twice just to be sure but I didn't see any grime in the first rinse "cycle".

The plastic frame is a pain. It supports the container while you turn it but it's not terribly stable so when you drain the container, it's prone to coming apart. Maybe this is a problem with my ability to assemble it but I think it's intentional so that it's easy to take apart so that you can rinse the container out afterward.

I'll tell you what - if someone came up with a gigantic one of these, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. In the meantime, I'm really happy to know that I can get my clothes clean even if the power goes out. Or if I need to save a buck or two. I'm certainly going to be using it for the hand wash loads that aren't supposed to go into the washing machine.

Latest posts