• 1lb sweet potatoes (about 2 small sweet potatoes,) peeled & cubed
  • 1/2 lb pork breakfast sausage
  • 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 Tablespoon butter
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • pepper
  • 1-2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
Directions
  1. Cook sweet potatoes in a large pot of salted, boiling water until barely tender, about 4 minutes. Drain then set aside.
  2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat then add sausage, removing casings if necessary. Brown, breaking it up as it cooks, then drain in a paper towel lined bowl and set aside.
  3. Drop heat a tad then melt butter and olive oil in the same skillet. Add sweet potatoes and onions then season with pepper and saute until golden brown, about 5-7 minutes. Add sausage then drizzle in maple syrup to your liking. Toss to combine then saute for 1-2 more minutes and then serve.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I will definitely be trying this out! I love sweet potatoes.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Any secrets or tips for cutting up sweet potatoes? Those suckers are hard and I always feel like I am going to lose a finger when I try to slice them.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It is kinda difficult to do. I usually just whack em in the middle and the ends, then stand em up on wide cut from the middle and slice down. Then it's smaller and easier to dice up. Slow work, but it's better if you have really good, sharp knives. I wouldn't do it with a cheap grocery store knife.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It is kinda difficult to do. I usually just whack em in the middle and the ends, then stand em up on wide cut from the middle and slice down. Then it's smaller and easier to dice up. Slow work, but it's better if you have really good, sharp knives. I wouldn't do it with a cheap grocery store knife.

Dull knives are dangerous. I know it sounds like a oxymoron but it also applies to woodworking tools.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have good quality, very sharp knives. We did not skimp on our knofe set. It is interesting to discover that I really did need 7 different style of knives.

The Chicago Cutlery knives ended up in the camper because they were not that great at holding an edge.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I really miss the carbon steel knives we had down south. Somehow, they did not make the trip up here.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I really miss the carbon steel knives we had down south. Somehow, they did not make the trip up here.

My humble opinion... A good steel knife is worth its weight in gold. Sadly you can't just go and buy a good knife anymore. Most all of them are made in China trash that can't hold an edge.

I got tired of using my wife's kitchen knifes so I just made my own real wood handle knife. Yes its rough, I'm no knife smith, but it holds an edge and cuts like a real knife should. So mission accomplished. I think the sheath was harder for me to make than the knife was. Now a head of cabbage, carving turkey or slitting the throat of a deer is no match for me.
knife.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts