MAPLE SYRUP...who needs acres when you have Neighbors!

FranklinStreetWest

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So a few weeks ago a customer came into the store I work in. He was glowing over the 10 gallons of sap he harvested from his sugarbush, and bragging about the birch stand that he harvests too. That got my little gears turning, and I started driving the city streets looking for maple trees to tap. Every day for a week I looked in longing at the maples in my neighbor's yards. I wished I hadn't cut my large maples down, pout. But they were endangering my house and one was actually crushing the roof of another house.

Finally I got up the nerve to ask. Rita didn't even hesitate, she said it would be fine. HAPPY DAY!! I had my first two taps and a wet sleeve from the gush of sap that came out of the tree. Then I got to thinking... my mother has quite a few maples on her property, all I would need to do is convince her to empty the jugs into buckets. But I didn't have enough money to buy the special taps for $3 a piece. I lucked out, the local old time hardware store had them in stock. Which is odd. Even more serendipitous, just as I asked the clerk at the counter about them, he was cashing out a sale for a guy about my age that nearly cleaned him out of taps! Still, I couldn't afford to go and buy more...
After about an hour of standing around the plumbing and electrical isles at Lowes, I finally picked up a few things to try out at my mom's house. Making this work on the cheap was my first priority. She had about 5 large trees, so I would need at least 10 taps, and there was another huge tree in town that my friends said I could bleed. Here is what I came up with....

click to enlarge

1] Hammer
2] Cordless Drill
3] 3/8" pvc water supply line for a toilet
4] 3/8" drill bit
5] Pruners (to cut the plastic pipe)
6] Nails (to hang jugs from)
7] Jug (I like them to be at least 1 gallon)
8] Clear Plastic Hose (to put on the end of the tree spout and direct the sap into the jug)

I also bought some smaller clear tubing and platic couplers, so that I could hook two spouts to drain into one big bucket. It works pretty well. Think of it like an I.V. drip from a tree!

The cost was under $10 for spouts, tubing and buckets (I already had the tools)

FranklinStreetWest

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My first small batch from the one neighbor tree!

We are home most of the time right now. The stove runs constantly to zone heat...so we keep a couple pans on the stove going all the time. This first batch was done in stainless steel, and turned out a pretty light color. It has a very delicate flavor.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Maples (hard maples) don't grow naturally here, but I did plant one 15 years ago. I've been tapping it, last two years. I've got some syrup in the making... on again, off again. :rolleyes:

The weather has to get above freezing - plus, the sun has to shine on the south of the tree's trunk, for the sap to flow. Not that I read that somewhere - this is my experience with this tree.

The sun hasn't shone that much. Sometimes the temp has come up, but with a cloudy sky.

So rather than starting with like a gallon of sap, I started with about a half gallon. Put that into a pot on the stove, with the intention of adding more sap to it daily. Well, next sap yield was about 3/8 gallon (which I added), and the next after that only about a quart. So I'd like to get a bit more, when the weather goes favorable again. I'm waiting for it... :hu

Laureli

Power Conserver
Reaction score
:pop keep us posted! This is great reading! :thumbsup

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Good luck and have fun. :)

Our Maine Murphy Laws.

Tapping trees "early" in the season is sure to bring on freezing temperatures in the
daytime once again. (This is, by the way, much more predictable than groundhogs and
shadows.) ( Thank you Heather for this one Love it and so true)

3 weeks ago we had a nice warn spell but boy did the temps drop rigt off. :)

FranklinStreetWest

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My Mother's trees turned out to be about as much as we can handle on the stovetop! She brings over nearly 20 gallons every three days!! To handle that, we have a 1 gallon iron pan and a 3 gallon aluminum pan on the stove. We even hauled out the rectangular turkey roaster pan for a minute...had that inside the oven with the door open. It worked. The walls and windows sweat with humidity... The upstairs hall has rolling fog!!! But the house smells like maple and is warm and toasty from the humidity.

It turns out that the iron pan changes the color of the sap dramatically. The flavor is effected also. I think it brings out the rich maple, carmelized sugar profile more. It amazes me that the little 1 gallon iron pan will cook twice as much sap as the other pans.

Empty 1/5 size Crown Royal bottles I salvaged from the recycling center. They make good syrup containers.

FranklinStreetWest

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have noticed on my neighbor's tree, the sap runs REALLY well when the temps are between 38 & 45 with nights in the 20's. My mother's trees out on an ULTRA-windy hilltop with sand for soil run best when the temps are solidly in the 40's. I have nearly 30 gallons of sap from mom's trees cooked down.... the neighbor's tree yields about two gallons most days. Every tree needs to be like that one! I keep eyeing the maples in the city strip in front of my house. There are three of them.... I just have a feeling that I would end up with bodily fluids from the passers by...I might try it just to see how long the jugs last out there before someone steals them.

FranklinStreetWest

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The hual to date:

two 750mL wine bottles
three 375mL wine bottles
three 750mL liquor bottles

Mom ran off with one of the 375mL bottles, and we've used most of one already. But that's not bad I don't think! That means we've finished a little more than a gallon of syrup to date. I hope we've got a few more weeks of this!!!

JacksFlock

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I couldn't keep up the the buckets today, going to cook it down tomorrow :)