Marking hens to tell age

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I am envisioning (in a good-humored way, please understand) certain BYCers with $5,000 4x6 Martha-Stewart-y coops seizing on this idea and getting diamond stud earrings installed in all their chickens...

:D

Pat

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Seriously. Remember that thread on how much people spent?! Omg, my chickens are happy and cozy in the $50 coop.

Anyways, I see that happening too. I have a little brahma that thinks she's a dog, she prob wouldn't mind diamonds.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we didn't have 'loose hens' hanging around

lol

our first lot, yup, that trouble, bought 50 from X person, raised 50 for ourselves, bought 25 from X person and all the same breed, bought another 40 from X, threw them in and WHAT THE, who is who HA HA

we sold all hens, started with 250 of the same breed and knew our exact age to sell and premium egg production

honestly you can't tell who from who when you get into that 30-50 bird range.....yea always the few who stand out, have that crazy personality, lol, but most are the same chicken :lol:

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
At our local farm store, they have packages of O rings for chickens. They are plastic, with several different colors in the bag. They have a cut in the ring, so you can pull it apart to put on the chicken's leg.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
I am envisioning (in a good-humored way, please understand) certain BYCers with $5,000 4x6 Martha-Stewart-y coops seizing on this idea and getting diamond stud earrings installed in all their chickens...

:D

Pat
It wouldn't work, not for differentiation. You would need diamonds this year, and rubies next year, and emeralds the year after ... then it would work. :lol:

My method is easier ... I have a very small flock (4 hens today; after tomorrow there will be 5 more pullets), and all my girls are different breeds :lol: The *lawn art* factor is enhanced, and I can tell the difference between the hens, and between the eggs (my brother was amazed that I could tell which hen had laid which egg - "You mean, they always lay the same color egg?" :lol:)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Can't you just look at their teeth, or count the rings in their legs? :hide