Marmalade

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My friends....help me. Really. Some of you know that I have an orchard to deal with and no time, but at the same time I hate to see my parents hard work, investments and time go to waste. Well, I was inspired to try my hand at marmalade. I found a few recipes and seeings as it was for long term storage, I elected to use the one in Back to Basics. Well at the same time let me also say that I am aware that one can make pectin out of the inner part of the orange rind, so I trusted the recipe would thicken naturally. As it was getting time to put in jars, I would put a spoon of the stuff in a container and put in the freezer because I wanted to satisfy my curiosity on the thickening I was hoping for, but it never happened, so I gave in and put a box of pectin. Well I don't feel it is stiff enough. Honey consistancy, maybe.
Okay, to begin with, I'm not accustomed to eating marmalade anyway, so I don't really have anything to judge by as to how thick it should be. Secondly, I have done blackberry jam and been unsatisfied and thought I'd put in another box as soon as I go to the store for more pectin, but keep putting it off a few days and 3 days down the road, I go to move the jars and its as stiff as I need it.....by magic! So, I'm hoping in a few days the magic works or that one of you will tell me that its not really so very stiff anyway, cuz I wouldn't know one way or the other.
My problem is temporary, because really I can do preserves. In fact, I'm toying with the idea of starting a small, home-based business of it. God knows I have enough citrus. I have all the blackberries I can possibly pic, come May and I have ample room to start about 30 more fig trees. I just thought I'd play with a marmalade recipe, see if the locals like it, obtain some cheaper glass jars to retail, create a cute logo and do the whole thing again in the spring when the berries ripen.
It breaks my heart to see my parents and know all their fruit is feeding raccoons and not getting in their wallets.
Someone please educate me about making this marmalade. Also, if you have a recipe that can be used for large amounts of marmalade, please pass it my way.

LittleBear

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Found here: weusecoupons.com/upload/condiments-dips-sauces/71883-easy-orange-marmalade-make-your-own-dried-ground-lemon-peel-orange-peel.html

Easy Orange Marmalade & Make your Own Dried, Ground Lemon Peel and Orange Peel

10 med large oranges (about 3 lbs or so), peeled and seeded
4-1/2 cups of sugar *
1 lemon, peeled & seeded

* if you wish to lower the sugar, I suggest using Pamona Pectin and honey as the sweetener. I did not as I have misplaced my Pamona Pectin and Calcium Powder grr. probably in the back of my deep cabinet that I need to clean and organize (thats going on todays to do list now so I can find my stuff.)

In a food processor, put about 1/2 the oranges and 1/2 the lemon. Process into a pulpy juice. Pour into the large pot you intend to use to make the marmalade then process the other 1/2 of oranges and lemon and pour it into the same pot.

If you have a large food processor, you may be able to process it all at one time but doing it this way ensures youre not going to have a fountain overflowing at the sides under your food processor lid.

Once you have all the all the pulpy juice poured into a large pot, add the sugar.
Bring to a rolling boil over medium heat, stirring continuously. You dont want it to stick.

Boil until it reaches the jelling point. (roughly 15 to 20 minutes).

Remove from heat, stir and skim off the foamy top. Ladle into hot, sterilized jars leaving a 1/4″ headspace.

Process in a water-bath canner for 15 minutes.

Makes about 5 - 1/2 pints. (mine made a little more than that so I have about 1/2 of jelly size (1/2 pint) jar in the fridge for eating on toast in the morning).

Dont Toss The Peels! You can dehydrate them and make dried lemon peel and dried orange peel (much like what youd buy in the stores to use in baked goods, tea, etc.). Layer in a single layer on your dehydrator and dry until brittle. Then you can run them through a grinder -- old crank style coffee grinder used only for spices or pulse them in your food processor. Not sure they would work through a spice grinder.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the recipe. And I can try it. I am wondering about something though....its just that there was no rind in the recipe. I guess not all recipes call for it, but I'm really not familiar with it. Seems like I should know this. Its not like I didn't have all the oranges I could possibly eat, all of my life. I can't give a reason why I wouldn't be the one knowing all the good on marmalade. Its just not something the average Cajun eats....at least not my Cajuns. We prepare blackberry into jellies and jams and use them to made dumplings. We are really big on making fig preserves, but all we do with oranges is sneak it in a few fruit cakes....use the peels in seasonings, juice them and eat the oranges. I'm really marmalade stupid.
And welcome to SS, LittleBear. Make yourself right at home. Each of us are kinda experts at something or another, so we just help each other out as you may have noticed.
I put the jelly jars sitting on the table in the pantry, to see if any magic takes place, before I obtain pectin....please, please. Sooo much more fruit to deal with. Its truely ashamed.

LittleBear

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
Thanks for the recipe. And I can try it. I am wondering about something though....its just that there was no rind in the recipe. I guess not all recipes call for it, but I'm really not familiar with it. Seems like I should know this. Its not like I didn't have all the oranges I could possibly eat, all of my life. I can't give a reason why I wouldn't be the one knowing all the good on marmalade. Its just not something the average Cajun eats....at least not my Cajuns. We prepare blackberry into jellies and jams and use them to made dumplings. We are really big on making fig preserves, but all we do with oranges is sneak it in a few fruit cakes....use the peels in seasonings, juice them and eat the oranges. I'm really marmalade stupid.
And welcome to SS, LittleBear. Make yourself right at home. Each of us are kinda experts at something or another, so we just help each other out as you may have noticed.
I put the jelly jars sitting on the table in the pantry, to see if any magic takes place, before I obtain pectin....please, please. Sooo much more fruit to deal with. Its truely ashamed.
Not all marmalade has rind... mainly the traditional marmalade does.

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
my hubby loves his cusins marmalade....and she passed on her easy making secret to me....

the presure cooker...

cut oranges in half..pressure cook for about 40 min...
cool a bit scoop and run through a seeder strainer...and slice the skins...(put aside)
then measure what juice stuff you got...and add an equal amount of sugar..and put in pot
with peal and a good splash of lemon....and cook up till thickened....personally i would like
with a bit more sugar...but my hubby likes it tart
she also told me to use sevile oranges, so that is the only orange i have tried it with...

heres a good easy goodie...for the skins

http://www.myownlabels.com/blog/orangettes/

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Your DH doesn't think that is enough sugar??? Am I understanding correctly? You use as much sugar as the amount of measurement you have on juice? I can try it. Unfortunately, we don't have that variety of orange. We have Louisiana sweets, navels, satsumas, lemons, comquats (? spelling), mandarines, tangelos, grapefruits....I think thats all. The amound the raccoons are taking right now is unreal.
I'll check out your response later, but I can play with the recipe anyway. I'm interested in trying as many as I can. Its not like I don't have the resources. Honestly, I am seriously thinking about going mail order or something, once I get all the ducks in a row. Fact finding right now. I mean really....if your first plan don't work, you have to get another plan.