Mason jar treasure find. A CAVE FULL!!

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So I am not one to be afarid to ask people for stuff I am looking for. I figure if they have it, How much you want for it?? the worse tey can say is no. One night at grange I asked if anyone had old mason jars they wanted to part with. Can't have enough I say. So my friend John 90 yrs old says "yes Don, I have a bunch come on over and get them." So I just got back from a WOW moment. I went down to a basement that looks like a museum of stuff. There must be 100s of old mason jars. The ones with the glass tops ( ATLAS) and metal clamps. There might be nearly 500 of them down there. I am going back tomorrow with boxes to pick them all up. After I stood there with my mouth to the floor I told my friend I can't just have these I have to give you something. He kept saying "no take them." I was able to get him to let me do some work around his house. I will try and get some pix of the find. There are jars down there going back to 40's.

This is my best find of the yr so far. The great thing is now I can take all my old quart jars in the shed and trade for my fall lamb now.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well done! I love finding freebies, and it was very nice of you to help him out around his place even though he didn't want anything in return :)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
That sounds like an awesome find! Congrats!! I love all the old jars, they just add to the charm of home canning IMO. :)

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know this might sound strange, but could you take a picture of one of them so I can see what they look like?

Where you going to get replacement seals for them? I am so jealous!

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
luvinlife offthegrid said:
I know this might sound strange, but could you take a picture of one of them so I can see what they look like?

Where you going to get replacement seals for them? I am so jealous!
Here is a pix of some of the type I'm getting. Tomorrow if no rain I will be picking them up. First I want to take pictures of the basement where they are. Honestly and yes a little bragging :drool It's going to fill the back of my pick up. He's got a some unopen stuff too. I brought one box home today so I could :drool. As for the replacement seals. Not sure yet but I use the glass type for dry goods. I use a lot for herbs.

1289_a_jar_4.jpg

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Wow! What a great find!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Great find! Lucky you!

I have found the rubber rings for the old glass top jars at a local hardware store. Its a Canadian company - Viceroy Rubber and Plastics Limited. I have a few of those jars (just a few, alas!), and also use them for dry storage.