Mason jar yogurt

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Inspired by one of my favorite blogs, Homegrown Evolution , I decided to try a new method of making yogurt (I had been doing Crock Pot yogurt before). It's really easy and the results are great, so I wanted to share it with you.

You need a pot to heat the milk, two quart jars, a small cooler and some towels (or an oven with a pilot light or proof setting), half a gallon of milk, and two tablespoons plain yogurt with live cultures (yogurt starter).

Heat the half gallon of milk to 180 degrees, and keep it at that temperature for 30 minutes. Keeping it heated for a while makes the yogurt thicker; if you want it thinner, you can just heat it to 180 then turn off the heat. If you don't have a thermometer, 180 is just barely simmering.

Meanwhile, heat the jars with boiling water, put a folded towel on the bottom of the cooler, put the jars in, and close the lid. This warms the cooler and will help it hold heat later on. If you're using the oven method, skip this (but you may want to sterilize the jars with boiling water anyway).

Let the milk cool to 110 degrees, and mix in the yogurt starter. If you don't have a thermometer, 110 is when you can put your fingers in and leave them there without it being too uncomfortable. To blend in the starter, I find it easier to put some of the warm milk into a bowl or measuring cup, whisk in the starter until it's smooth, and then stir that back into the pot. I feel like it gets blended better that way. Don't use more than a tablespoon of starter per quart of milk.

Dump the water out of the jars, put the mixture into the warm jars in the warm cooler, and pack tight with towels to keep the heat in. If you're using an oven, put the jars in the oven with the pilot light on or on the proof setting. Eight to twelve hours later, it's done. I prefer to blend mine afterward (I have a whisk thing that attaches to my hand mixer, and I just blend it right in the jars). If you're going to mix in honey, fruit, or any other flavoring, be sure to take out some of the plain yogurt to use as a starter next time.

Easy peasy! :)

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Oh! That IS easier. I need to get a cooler, but thank you thank you for directions without a thermometer. I use my finger to test for ganache and now I know the degrees for recipes LOL.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I make mine in a similar fashion, but I keep a jar with hot water in the cooler while the yogurt is incubating; it keeps the temp. better I think. After 4 or 5 hours I check; if the yogurt needs more time then I re-heat the water in the extra jar (this is, IMO, a legitimate use for the microwave :lol:)

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you want extra rich yogurt take out 2 cups of milk and add 2 cups of cream before you heat it. Even 1 cup will make a nice difference.

This is basically how I make mine also. I use a hot water bottle to pack in the cooler too. Sometimes I have it sit for up to 24 hours or longer. The more acid tasting your yogurt the more live bacteria in it and it takes more time for them to grow.

As time goes by your culture can weaken if you are using your product for new batches. Add a capsule of your favorite probiotic pill to the next batch and it will renew. Often in cultures where more than on probioitc is in the mix, over time the ratios will shift and you might have something like a lot of bulgaris and next to no lactobacillus...and that is why your yougurt is not looking so hot.

I usually start to see that its not the same as the original batch after the 4th or 5th generation.

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I use almost the exact same method. Except, I put the boiling water in the cooler. Pour the cooled yogurt mixture into sterilized jars, wrap in towels, etc, as you already described. Then empty the cooler to add the jars of yogurt.

I also like to add a jar or two of boiling water to the cooler to help maintain the 110* temp.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Kim_NC said:
I use almost the exact same method. Except, I put the boiling water in the cooler. Pour the cooled yogurt mixture into sterilized jars, wrap in towels, etc, as you already described. Then empty the cooler to add the jars of yogurt.

I also like to add a jar or two of boiling water to the cooler to help maintain the 110* temp.
The problem with this method, for me anyway, is lifting the cooler to empty the water. And also, I lived for too many years where water can be scarce to happily pour a cooler full of water away. By filling a quart jar with hot water, and keeping it in the cooler with the yogurt, I avoid both issues. And I am such a water miser that I even keep that jar in the cooler between batches, heating it again for the next lot :lol:

ETA: Oops! I didn't read your whole post before replying, and didn't see that you also use the water jars. Sorry.

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You know, I probably should have been clearer. I don't fill the cooler completely with boiling water....just about 1/3 full, enough to get it well heated.

LOL, I'm a water miser too. I always save the excess water for plants, or the chickens, animals....anything, just so it isn't wasted.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
In Colorado, you get pushed into water miserliness whether you want or not. I'd reboil the water in the jars, for sure LOL.

Latest posts