Massive solar storm to hit Earth in 2012 with 'force of 100m bombs'

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Impressive headline, right? The article has some equally impressive statements.

"Several US media outlets have reported that NASA was warning the massive flare this month was just a precursor to a massive solar storm building that had the potential to wipe out the entire planet's power grid."

The headline is meant to get your attention (it certainly got mine), but don't be too worried. Although a massive solar storm is always a possibility, and it doesn't have to be in a year of "solar maximum", no one can actually predict such an event.

There are a lot of indicators that this next solar maximum will be one of the most active in a long time, but there are also indicators to the opposite. However, since the contrary evidence doesn't make for good headlines, it has been mostly ignored by the press.

So, will the 2012/2013 solar maximum actually be spectacularly active? I hope so, as for as the chance for my Amateur Radio interests, but nobody can predict if it will result in storms of damaging proportions. Be prudent and plan for the possibility, but don't let the sensational headlines overly concern you. At least not until they actually say a storm is headed our way.

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx,..do you just like spreading gloom and doom??? Thats okay,..I like you anyways! ;) Lets hope for a massive power outage! :D (just kidding)

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Up-the-Creek said:
k0xxx,..do you just like spreading gloom and doom???...
Just call me Mr. Sunshine. :D

Actually, I believe that the solar storm is WAY down on our list of things we should be worrying about. A possibility, but a remote one.

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Im with you on that too. I think the big monster called the stock market is going to get the most of us,....:D Mr. Sunshine,....:cool:

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Recently, related to concerns about solar storms a bill went through congress to send money to public utilities to fortify their structures so they won't be blown away. The bill falled.

I had been posting on this topic on another forum. Its just too hard to bring all the info here right now. You can read it here

http://www.natmedtalk.com/chitchat/19649-nasa-warns-super-solar-storm-2012-a.html

You have to recall that it was a solar storm that knocked out the grid for part of Canada and the northeast a while back. They are anticipating things to be much worse...

Its like with Y2K. If no body had worked to make things right many things could have gone wrong... through the government fear mongering promoted by the media around the world, companies updated their computer systems to keep goods and services flowing around the world. They were warned and they took action so Y2K became a non event the day the clock ticked over...

I am thinking this could be much the same. We need our grid updated anyway. It is a mess.

On the home base I am planning to get a hand pump to put in with our electic water pump. In that case if the grid went down for a month or two Im not walking to the river with everyone else.

if the grid goes down, so does everybodies job... most everybody anyway. It would be an economic disaster. They anticipate that if a solar storm took a grid out it would take many months to repair, and the loss of eclectricity would cause food shortages, gasoline shortages and on and on.

Why does our nation leave us so vulnerable with a decrepid deteriorating, floundering grid system?....you would think that they are just asking for trouble

this is just another mirror to look in and ask, who self sufficient are you really?

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
Just call me Mr. Sunshine. :D.
hahaha.... I think that should be your tag name (or whatever it's called, right above your avatar):p

Latest posts