Maui braces for Hurricane Last 7 Days Our Planet Shaken By 144 Major Earthquakes

GettysburgGarden

Power Conserver
Reaction score
In Pennsylvania we are getting well beyond seasonal rain, and as I was reading the news I was thinking: are you self sufficient?

To keep the post short I'll post links but Hawaii is out of bottled water already
http://www.mauinews.com/news/local-news/2018/08/maui-county-braces-for-hurricane-lane/

Meanwhile Over The Last 7 Days Our Planet Has Been Violently Shaken By 144 Major Earthquakes
http://endoftheamericandream.com/ar...een-violently-shaken-by-144-major-earthquakes

And finally the rain in PA, not much in the news on this but under the link within the page: departure from normal.. worth a look.
https://water.weather.gov/precip/

Living in a flooded "index card box" apartment, no food, no water, no electricity yes I value self-sufficiency. Yes bad things happen to good people, natural disasters occur. But no flashlight, water, food, it is frightening how unprepared some people are.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ice cores in Greenland can show what the general weather has been for each deposit of seasonal ice- showing dust or ash and gasses that are in the air... Anyway, scientists have been studying them to try and see just how bad things are these days, only to find that for the last 3 centuries the earth's climate patterns have been more benign than anything they have discovered thus far. If we are moving into a more "normal" weather pattern now... well, things are going to get very exciting.

GettysburgGarden

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ice cores in Greenland can show what the general weather has been for each deposit of seasonal ice- showing dust or ash and gasses that are in the air... Anyway, scientists have been studying them to try and see just how bad things are these days, only to find that for the last 3 centuries the earth's climate patterns have been more benign than anything they have discovered thus far. If we are moving into a more "normal" weather pattern now... well, things are going to get very exciting.
I have been doing some reading on the solar minimum. And there is for sure junk science out there. But to put thinks into perspective the rain was so severe in our area about two weeks ago ants invaded my auto, they just abandoned the nest and moved to high ground, and then again on Tuesday when they got into the mailbox. The beans I planted seemed to do ok, I'll know in a few days in the beats and swish chard did as well. Parts of PA are state of emergency and federal funds might be applicable.. or a "federal loan". But the amount of rain we received exceeded the amounts we have had certainly by total rainfall by anything seen in previous years. I'd speculate 1:4 homes in our immediate area have genuine flood damage and believe it or not there is such a thing as too much rain for a garden. Watching Hawaii I pray they come out OK.. they have had some tough luck lately in respect to natural disasters I decided to upload a pic of what is left of Tomato's after Tuesday, I'm going to probably pull em all this weekend a try again with Kale and turnips.
toms.jpg

To try and add some perspective of growing on a mountain
Keep in mind rain rolls down hill :) Not complaining just saying the sorriest @ss tomato's now best gobbled up after frying em green.
slope.jpg
back.jpg

and front
front.jpg

Whats goin on down below us is the real mess.. but my beets and swish-chard was drowned and just not seeing it and the ground was warm.
bad_year.jpg

Not saying people lack empathy.. but the news reports of even 1/2 the amount of rain the media is pimping.. that is a mess.. and below us is where the real mess is at.. just the absolute worst garden in probably 15 years.

Last edited:

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The U.S. Geological Survey records information on worldwide earthquakes. There's an informative chart of quakes over the last 10 years, here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_earthquakes_in_2018

The info — just within that 10-year period — shows the year 2015 to have been a high point of quake incidents, also with a high number of very strong quakes. 2011 was another intense year, with the highest number (for that 10-year period) of very strong quakes, though 2010 had a lot of those too. Info for 2018 is of course incomplete at our current date.

I'm sure there are tables somewhere on the internet that go way back before 2008, but I haven't done the search yet.

Last edited:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One can't help wondering, if those ice cores are truth, just WHAT the climate will be like if it swings back to "normal". They don't have much world-wide seismological or volcanic info on what things were like in the 1700's.

GettysburgGarden

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Those poor people in Hawaii just can't catch a break. A volcano spewing and now a hurricane.
Poor people in Pennsylvania look at the BEAUTIFUL pictures you people have posted of your gardens and can't get a break. This is a really interesting community, it reminds me of better home and gardens without the stuff I'm not interested in.. the vanity segment of the market. Yeah I agree on Hawaii not getting a break..I look at the flooding last week in PA (state of emergency) and think what that amount of rain did, in effect 100 year flood scenarios. I think the other people I feel for is the truly elderly and the manner in which they fair in Hurricanes. If I see on the news some bedridden soul drowned at a retirement home one more time then legislation should be passed preventing construction or running a retirement home in a 500 year flood plain. The weather just seems to have gone crazy or we have much better tools and social media to report it.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Last year hurricane Harvey hit Houston, my sister got 7 feet of water in her house, they were rescued from their 2nd story by boat. The force of the water took the outside and inside walls away, the 2x4 studs were left.

We used to live 75 miles north of Houston, moved 160 miles north. Now we are in tornado country, it's always something. No matter where you live, Mother Nature will have something special for you.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Wisconsin really isn't that bad. Just a little snow. Not enough to crush your house or tunnel from an upstairs window. Really not that bad. The weather's nice, c'mon over! :D