Maximizing heat from a fireplace

trishok8

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all.
This is my first time here but a regular on one of the sister sites, BYC
My questions is this:
What do you all do to maximize the heat from your fireplace?
I read about fireback and was wondering if it's worth it.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Alot of folks use a fireplace insert with an electric blower on them for maximum fireplace efficiency.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I don't think I ever figured out how to get real heat from an open fireplace- most of it went up the chimney with the smoke. Eventually I got an inset that made a warold of difference.
The fireplace I had would warm the front of me if I was about 4 feet away. There were only two positions for the damper open and closed so I have no idea if that made a difference- never had a back plate.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
IME, by far the biggest factor is how the fireplace was designed/built in the first place. If it is well designed it won't need much if any help; if it is badly designed, nothing you can do is likely to help much, as far as I know (aside from, like, using the chimney for the flue of a woodstove set inside the room, or something like that :p)

Now, a fireback or something like that *may* help in in-between cases, I don't know.

Good luck,

Pat

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Welcome to the group. I have a wood stove with a blower. heat output for me isn't a problem. I wouldn't have a clue on how to increase the output of an open fireplace. I'm sure there are heat reflective materials you could get to line the back of the firebox, which is after thinking for a second is probably what you were referring to in your post. Ill research this and see what I can find.

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OK Ive read up on the firebacks and they seem pricey but are supposed to increase heat output by as much as 50%, im sure you could get a piece of 1/4" or 1/2" plate steel cut to the size of your firebox and save a ton of cash or maybe even recycle some scrap. it may not be as efficient as cast iron but im sure it will help. Good luck

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Even if a fireback helped with heat output...when ever there is no fire that firplace is sucking the warm air from your house right up your chimneyt, and it is also drafty as well. I don't know how much fireback costs, but you would probably be much better of to put in an insert...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
If an insert is too pricey, I've seen several setups where folks have put in a wood stove and vented up the fireplace and it looks fine. My stove is vented into a brick chimney and it draws well and heats the house wonderfully!